Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Strawberry Shortcake Recipe


When I saw this recipe, I was thinking of the Puyallup Fair. Their strawberry shortcake wasn't very good to me, so I wanted to make one that was even better. Alas, mine was awful, but I was glad that I learned a lot along the way.
 
Ingredients:
  • "1 2/3 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (essence)
  • 4 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into slices 1/4 inch thick
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • sweetened whipped cream for serving"
(Dodge 34).
 
 
The recipe said to press the dough onto a lightly floured surface, not knead it. (Dodge 34). The dough was so soft that I kept adding flour to try to be able to grip it better, but I added way too much and after cooking it, it became hard and tasted like flour. Reading this recipe has taught me that if a book has specific, weird instructions, then you should probably follow it as close as you can because they made all the same mistakes when they first tried it too. I now know to listen to the experts, especially when they tell you not to do something.
 
Citation: Dodge, Abigail Johnson. Dessert. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2002. Print.
Question: Have you ever made strawberry shortcake or another recipe that turned out too doughy and hard? If you fixed it, how did you do it?


1 comments:

  1. I have made lots of recipes that didn't turn out the way I planned. There have been times where I messed up so bad I just had to restart. But sometimes when my strawberry shortcake turns out too doughy, I add more flour until its at the correct consistency. I don't know about having it too hard cause I've never experienced that. But all desserts will taste and look amazing if you just follow the recipe exactly. I learned that the hard way.

    ReplyDelete