Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Capturing Movement

In the book Fantasy Art Drawing Skills by Socar Myles, she talks about how you can translate the real world through a bunch of lines by using movement. In other words, how you can make a drawing seem like it's moving. There are a few tips that she suggests for creating movement, that I will attempt to apply to my own drawings.

Implying motion in a subtle way can be difficult. Myles proposes one way to draw motion without actually drawing swirls of wind or lines, would be to draw what could happen in the future; "Rather than attempting to draw motion, try drawing the potential, or the result" (48). In this drawing, I've attempted to show that as time progresses, the ending result will be that the bird will steal the hat.
Here is the book's example of cause and effect.
Here is my attempt at applying the same technique.

Another suggestion Myles has for creating movement would be through a more bolder approach, which would be using ghost lines. The ghost lines tells that something has already taken place (49). Here, I've taken a flower and tried adding some ghost line to show the stages of when it was blooming.
Here is the book's example of ghost lines.

Here is my drawing that uses ghost lines.


Overall, I'd say that I'm pretty pleased with my drawings. Creating movement on a flat canvas is certainly not the easiest thing to do. For my fellow drawers out there, what are your tips or tricks for implying movement to a drawing?


Citation
Myles, Socar. Fantasy Art Drawing Skills. N.p.: Barron's Educational Series,
     2012. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment