Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Artistic Vision Through My Phone

     We all take photos, whether it's to capture a moment or show off our daily cup of Starbucks coffee. These photographs we take have different meanings to each and every one of us; photography is a way of expression. Even though I find myself constantly taking photos, I am by no means a professional. Almost all the time, I use my phone's camera to capture moments while on vacation, at a concert, or if I see something photo worthy. We can all agree that our phones are the quickest and easiest devices to use as cameras since we always have them on hand. I've chosen the book, "How to Photograph Absolutely Everything" by Tom Ang to help me understand the basic elements of photography, how to apply them, and other tips and tricks. As I continue to read this book, my end goal is to be able to use a somewhat professional camera, such as the Canon EOS 60D available in my household, properly and effectively using its controls and settings to take photos full of inspiration and technique. For now, I will apply the information I learn to the photos I take on my phone.
     "Artistic expression refers to picture-making at its most relaxed. . .it is photography in which you aim to satisfy only your own visual curiosity, allowing your imagination to follow where the light leads you" (Ang 325). I applied this to when I take photos, since I pull out my phone to snap a picture of something I find visually interesting and appealing (of course whenever there is good lighting). I've realized there is never any pressure to please anyone but myself when taking photos.
























     Fresh and colorful foods come in all different kinds of shapes, sizes, and textures with great color combinations (Ang 334). Keeping this in mind, I decided to shoot photos of fruits and vegetables. Piles of fruits and vegetables create photos with rhythm and structure (Ang 335).  Rhythm establishes pattern and texture, while structure is the shapes and contrasts between light and dark. This is why I decided to photograph a pile of pumpkins with different shades and variations of orange and white. As well as this, I took a photo of a bowl of fruit salad which shows a variety of textures and colors between the different fruits including strawberries, blueberries, nectarines, and peaches. In both photos, textures and colors compliment each other, creating an appealing photo. 
      As I continue to read different sections of my book, I plan on continuing to try out different ideas and techniques to take photos. My goal is to step out of my comfort zone of using my phone as a camera and learn how to operate a higher quality camera. This will hopefully prepare me in some way for my Photo 1 class at Kentridge during 2nd semester. Ultimately, I want to look at the world around me through a lens with a broader knowledge about photography. 

How often do you take photographs? What do you take photographs of? Where do you get inspiration from?
Have you taken any photography classes? Possibly Photo 1 at Kentridge? What are some tips and tricks you find to be useful?  

Ang, Tom. How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from Your Digital Camera. New York: Dorling Kindersley, 2007. Print.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Diana, I took photo 1 last year and I loved it so I'm taking photo 2 2nd semester this year. I think you're definitely right in needing a good camera for high quality photos. I attempted using a point-shoot camera for yearbook photos, and they did not make the cut. Instead, it was much easier to capture motion with a Canon Rebel (but they're quite spendy). I also find something interesting to do/ for you to try is to include a subject, make your friend pose or something! I get my inspiration from cool landscapes and tend to focus on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenny! It's cool that you took photo 1 and are now taking photo 2! I hope I enjoy the class enough to take the following class! I will for sure be trying to use a higher quality camera for my upcoming posts and maybe experiment with using subjects. Thanks for the input!

      Delete
  2. Hi Diana! I take photos when I'm on vacation or when doing casual photo shoots with friends. When on vacation, I normally take photos of anything I find particularly interesting on the trip. On casual photo shoots, I take nature photos, specifically landscapes and close ups of plants. My inspiration is nature itself, which makes my artistic vision very spontaneous. I haven't taken any photography classes as I would like to, but I would recommend avoiding tilting your camera/photo (like tilting it to the right or left, etc). I just feel like tilting takes away the aesthetic of the photo and subject and just doesn't look good, but what do you think? I would also avoid direct sunlight because it adds too much exposure of light, which doesn't look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erika! I love taking photos of nature too; natural lighting is the best! I also think tilting photos and having too much exposure can sometimes ruin a photo. Thanks for the awesome comment!

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of question - I take photos of the things I love - my children, the mountains, yoga stuff, nature, things I find inspiring personally. I have never taken a photo class. I like to use the grid thingy on editing software and keep in mind that peoples' eyes are naturally drawn to where the lines intersect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Robison! Haha, sorry for all the questions! I love taking photos of things that inspire me as well. Most of the time I like using editing apps I have on my phone. Thank you for the comment! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm doing my IR project on photography too!! I love taking pictures! I take pictures all the time of everything from my family, to nature, to food, etc. My favorite things to take pictures of are flowers. I don't really have a ton of "inspiration", I just love to take pretty pictures. There are so many electives at KR I didn't have enough to take photography this year, even though I really wanted to! When I take pictures, I get really close to the flower and then make sure I have the focus right to get those really pretty close up pictures. I have tons more tips on my blog if you want to go check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elise, it's so cool that we both love photography! Yeah I feel you, sometimes I don't need inspiration to take photos either. I think you should take photo 1 next school year! I will make sure to keep up with your blog posts and use your tips! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Diana, just so you know, I have read everyone of your posts and I love them. You should seriously think about doing photography professionally, you would be really good at it!

      Delete