Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sketching and Drawing

I have been drawing not the first time, but I still wanted to learn how to become better at it. For this month I learn how to do sketches and drawings. I had a lot of fun with it, but I still need to learn how to look at an object and draw it from how I see it.

First, I discovered that sketches and drawings have different meanings. Sketches is when you make a draft of what you want to draw and it "is a work in progress" (14) says Mark Willenbrink. For example, you can observe your object by sketching it and getting ready to do a drawing. But drawing, is when you started the drawing and you finish it to the end.

At first, I tried to do structural sketch of a coffee cup. Willenbrink suggested to look at basic shapes such as circles, rectangles, and squares (17). I tried to include all the dimensions of a coffee cup that I can see from my point of view.
Next, I practiced with value sketch of the same object. Through this sketch I learned how to make form through light and shadow without using any lines (19).

Then, by the suggestion of Willenbrink, I tried to make chiaroscuro coffee cup. This was a more easier practice. I had to sketch a black and white coffee cup. This lesson helped me see "a subject's most basic lights and darks" (21).

And fourth last sketch that Willenbrink suggested is contour sketch. "This sketch is done by placing the pencil onto the paper and not lifting it until the sketch is finished" (23). This was the most challenging sketch for me, because I had to see all the shadows of a cup and contour them. And at the end it looks like a mess.
I used all of these techniques to make a final drawing of a coffee cup. I had so much fun drawing a simple cup, because I could add more details now, that I couldn't add before. These four techniques helped me observe an object more carefully, looking at all shadows and lines.

What are other techniques of sketching or helpful tips to make a drawing?

Citation: Mark and Mary Willenbrink. Drawing for the Absolute Beginner.

13 comments:

  1. I am awful at drawing, but I found your blogging about it very interesting and your end result was AWESOME - very impressive. I would never have thought that "sketching" could be approached so scientifically. Nice work. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) is there anything I can work on more to improve my posts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an amazing artist and very good at drawing! I took private art classes for about 6 years and have never been taught value sketch or contour sketch; these are two very interesting ways to approach on drawing still life. A technique I learned when drawing still life is holding my pencil up and closing one of my eyes to get an idea of how big the drawing and sizes of details should be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much :) and I didn't know value and contour sketches before, but this book has lots of interesting techniques on how to learn to draw. Are you doing your post on drawing too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you're sketches i never really look sketching but i always learned on my own and you're posts on the step by step on you're drawing and how it is created now i have another technique inserted into my head! keep on the great drawings they are AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I didn't learn how to draw either, but I really like to draw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Elvira! I've got to say, I am impressed! Your cup drawing looks so realistic, with a lot of dimension. Before I read my book and your post, I didn't realize that sketching and drawing are two different things. I am a bit of an amateur at both, but I really enjoy them anyways. :) Your post also helped me learn about the value and structural sketches; I've never heard of them before. I noticed in your pictures that you were using different pencils for different sketches. Is there a particular reason for that? Are you using sketching pencils for some of the sketches? Great job though! Your drawing is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you :) There are different pencils that you can use, some are thicker and some are thinner and they change the way drawing looks. On my 3rd picture from the top, I just used regular black colored pencil because I don't have any other pencils except number 2 pencil, the regular one. For example, pencil 8H is the darkest and 8B is the lightest shade/color. But I used just regular 2B pencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, thank you Elvira! I knew about the different types of pencils but I wasn't sure about the ones you were using. I also used a regular #2 pencil in my sketch! :)

      -Hannah

      Delete
  9. Wow, what a talent!! you are amazing Elvira, that's a good drawing out there, keep on doing it, you've got skill!!! That's a good tutorial btw, Love you girl, I'm very impressed with your sketch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Oksana :) I want to see your post too :)

      Delete
  10. This is such an amazing sketch!! I love the shading on it! To answer your question, I think different types of pencils could help enhance your sketches. Not only is there different thicknesses of pencils but there are also different shades ranging from small light colored pencils to dark thick pencils that are great for shading and could be of great use for your sketches. To wrap up what I said, keep doing what you're doing! Your sketches are already so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing end result! Very realistic. I had prior knowledge about value but I had never heard about contouring. I will definitely try it next time. I also didnt know the difference between sketching and drawing. Blending is an important part of shading most people just smudge the pencil marks, what's you approach or blending technique?

    ReplyDelete