Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Pencil Techniques (Sketches)


I've always loved to draw, ever since I was a little kid. But I've realized now that I don't know much about the proper way to sketch and the pencil techniques that go along with it. So far, the book Sketching by Alwyn Crawshaw has taught me several new tricks to get varieties of lines and shadings.
There were three methods I learned in the section that I read for today.
The first method is called the "short hold position" (16). This method is pretty self-explanatory. By holding the pencil closer to the tip, much like how you write, you gain the most control for sketching (16). I tried some strokes and doodles using the short hold position.
The second method is called the "long hold position" (16). For this technique, you hold the pencil farther away from the tip. According to Crawshaw, "The long hold drawing position allows more freedom over a large area" (16).
The last method is called the "flat hold position" (16). This position is applied by holding the pencil almost flat on the paper so that you can use the long edge of the lead, as the name suggests (16). Crawshaw states that this process "...allows you to work large shaded areas with fast, free, broad strokes..." (16).  For all of these methods, I practiced by using different amounts of pressure. This helped me create darker and lighter lines.
Prior to reading this section in the book, I had always held my pencil in the short hold position for all my sketches. I even used that method for shading. Now I see that by using varying positions, I can accomplish different shades or lines in a more efficient way.
After reading and practicing all this new information, I decided to do a quick sketch that demonstrated all three methods. I noticed a big difference in my sketches from before (compared to this new sketch). There were more line variations, which made the sketch a lot more interesting.
After this little sketch, I have begun to agree with Alwyn Crawshaw when he writes "Sketching is the most uplifting and enjoyable...it is a great teacher, whether you are working with pencil or paint, outdoors or indoors" (7). Just reading and learning three new methods for sketching has given my sketches more life, much to my enjoyment.  
I am wondering if there are other pencil techniques out there that will create new/different types of lines?
Citation:
Crawshaw, Alwyn. Sketching. New York: Collins, 2008. Print.

12 comments:

  1. Excellent post!!! You are the VERY first one!!! Way to go. Great pictures and I LOVE your apple. Very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. Robison!

      Thank you for commenting on my post. I really appreciate your feedback! I am definitely beginning to enjoy blogging and sharing my experience with my hobby. I also know there is a lot more to learn from the book I'm reading. Hopefully I can continue to improve my sketching techniques as I get further into the book. :)
      Do you have any suggestions for my blogging?
      Thanks!

      ~Hannah

      Delete
    2. Nope, looks great - exactly what you were asked/expected to do. :) Keep up the great work.

      Delete
    3. Okay, thank you Mrs. Robison!

      Delete
  2. Hi, this is Elvira. :) I really liked your apple, it was really interesting and fun to read your post. :) From my book I learned many different techniques of sketching that helped my hands get ready to start on drawing. I don't have different techniques on how to hold a pencil to get different types of lines, but I learned how to do simple sketches of an object. One of my favorite techniques of sketching was contour sketch or continuous line sketch. It is when you put your pencil on the paper and do a sketch of an object without lifting your pencil until you are finished. You can find an example of that sketch on my post "Sketching and Drawing". This type of sketch helps to outline and define value areas. And also is helpful in loosening up before drawing. This sketch might be a bit challenging, but at the same time it helps to increase observation skills. Thanks, I really liked your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elvira,

      Thanks for commenting on my post! I definitely will take a look at your post right after this.
      I haven't learned any of the techniques you're talking about, but it sounds interesting. Maybe I'll try them out sometime. The continuous line sketch seems like it would be a lot of fun! Only I would be tempted to stop and erase my mistakes. :)
      Which technique would be your favorite, the contour or the continuous line?
      Thank you! I'm glad to have found someone who has the same interests as me!

      ~Hannah

      Delete
    2. Of course! :) My favorite technique is continues line because it is hard and you can look at an object more carefully.

      Delete
    3. That's true. I'm going to try that technique out sometime! I think it would help me view the object I'm drawing more carefully so that I can get the right lines the first time.
      Thanks Elvira!

      ~Hannah

      Delete
  3. This is really good! i like how you show these in such great detail and depth and explained it in a great detail. I'm doing sketching as well but drawing manga. Maybe when you are doing sketches try to use a sketching pencil it could maybe show more great detail and more pigmentation to the paper who knows! just a suggestion! but in general reading this and looking at your post was really great i love all the step by step of everything so keep on going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,

      Thanks for the suggestions! Using a sketching pencil sounds like a good idea. I'm just used to using a regular #2 pencil, but I'll probably get a few this weekend and see if they make a big difference. What type of sketching pencil would you recommend?

      By the way, manga looks so interesting to me! What is your favorite part about drawing manga?

      Thank you for commenting!

      ~Hannah

      Delete
  4. I really like your tips and techniques on drawing, and you are indeed talented. Keep on doing what you're doing. As for the apple, it looks great but i would suggest you make the right side of an apple darker, give some more definition to it, and the apple should definitely be darker than the shadow but overall Great Job!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Oksana,

      Thanks for the tips! What you suggested would definitely make my drawing even more realistic. I'll make sure to keep those tips in mind for my next post.

      Thank you!

      ~Hannah :)

      Delete