Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Glass Coffee Pot Experiment

I've always been interested in the sciences, especially the scientific process of the experiment that had to occur to create the results.
Lately, I've been noticing that the glass coffee pot that my parents use to make coffee each day has been gaining quite a few stains.


In one of my independent books, Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda, there is a cleaner solution for glass coffee pots.
 I gathered the necessary ingredients in order to make the solution:
1/2 cup of salt
ice
 lemon slices
 water
and of course the glass coffee pot
 (Zukowski 33).


I then poured all the ingredients into the glass coffee pot and began to stir/swirl all the factors of the solution to lift the coffee stains off of the bottom and side of the coffee pot. The factors used each have their own use in the experiment, in Shea Zukowski words, "the ice and salt will lift coffee stains from the bottom of the pot...The acidity of the lemon juice will help cut through the oily residue left by the coffee" (Zukowski 33).


The experiment worked for the most part. There are just a few stains that are left that have been there for awhile. I would probably need to stir the mixture in the glass coffee pot for longer to get rid of all the stains in the coffee pot. I was also reminded that lemon juice and
paper cuts do not go well together.


What are some of your home made cleaning solutions that your family uses?
Zukowski, Shea. Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda: Hundreds of Earth-friendly Houshold Projects, Solutions, and Formulas. New York: Metro, 2009. Print.

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty impressive - there really was a dramatic difference. I make all of my own home-cleaning products. Here is what I use:
    Toilet Bowl Cleaner: vinegar with lemon peels soaked in it, tea tree oil, baking soda
    Bathtub: vinegar and baking soda

    I have others too - I like to feel like I could safely eat off any surface in my house. I really don't like the idea of using chemicals that can hurt you to "clean" your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very green and safe for your family.
      My family uses a mix of different cleaner types, but using this independent book, that I will be reading along with another, my family and I will most likely begin to use more homemade cleaners and products than we were before. I will be using the homemade cleaners and products, to clean of course, but also to watch and observe how the different elements of the cleaner/product react and cause them to clean something.

      Delete