Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Too Close?




Writer's block? More like photographer's block! I always find myself saying "I NEED MORE IDEAS!" This is the dark side of photography, it's simple and fun but you're always running out of ideas. For the past few months I haven't taken any new photos because I just don't know what to take, so I picked up the book A Beautiful Mess: Photo Idea Book by Elsie Larson and Emma Chapman. This book is full of wonderful ideas and techniques that anyone can try with either their phone, DSLR, or point and shoot camera.

A great technique or idea in the book they talked about is macro shots or extreme close up shots. As Elsie and Emma says "Macro photos are extremely close-up photos of features or objects...Often macro photos can be so zoomed in that you can no longer tell what the picture is of, and that's okay!" (88). You can basically take these types of photos any time, anywhere, and of anything.

For this type of shot there is no need to go hunting around for new places as cool backdrops, since you don't need one. All you have to do is get up close to your object or subject and take a photo making sure what you want to be in focus is crisp and clear. You can take the photo in either manual or auto mode, but manual is easier to control (88).


The two photos above of the combat boots and record are photos I took trying out the technique. As you can see in both photos I chose to fill the frame. Filling the frame and taking macro shots can add and create more details in your photos (89).

The details in a macro shot reminds me why I love photography so much; you get to see and photograph all the details of things that you couldn't see with your eyes...unless you have great vision. This pushes me to take more macro photographs and filling the frame.

A question I have for all you photographers out there is do you like macro shots and why or why not?


Citation: Chapman, Emma, and Elsie Larson. A Beautiful Mess: Photo Idea Book. New York: Amphoto, 2013. Print


8 comments:

  1. I like macro shots because like you said, it allows you to see and photograph what you probably wouldn't have been able to see/photograph before. And since I have poor vision... well, let's just say I can't exactly see every single detail. Macro shots also give you a different perspective on the photo and the object, compared to just normally taking it. It also makes such a beautiful and kind of professional photo and is the kind of photo that ANYONE can take with ANY kind of camera, whether or not you're a photographer. Digging deeper into macro photos/shots (or any kind of photo), they also tell a story and makes it somewhat deep, giving meaning to an object that would normally just be an object :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and that's why I love macro shots!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Kelsy for responding to my question! I too have terrible vision so I understand how you feel. Towards the end when you talked about how macro shots can tell a story I completely agree with you because they can tell a lot about the importance of that object to the photographer.

      Delete
  2. I love your shots - I love the perspective of macro shots in general. I especially like macro shots of peoples' eyes. It is such a creative way to look at something and can draw attention to a detail that may have previously been overlooked. I love your two photos that you posted here. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Robison! I also love macro shots of people's eyes because they can tell a lot about the person like their feelings and you can see the reflection of what they are seeing in their eyes.

      Delete
  3. Your shots are amazing! I love the Macro shots because in the photo you did it has so much detail and such a clear close up and it isn't so blurry. Maybe try to do a close up shots of a face feature because it can show a lot of emotion but in general great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! I've tried close up shots of face features but they never come out the way I want them too. :(

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete