Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Salsa;Go With The Flow

What is dance? It's life! Well, at least to me it is. I've been dancing before I could even walk. Dancing has always been and will always be so important. It's such a healthy, active way to have fun. I mean, I can't even imagine a day in my life where I'm not able to express myself by moving rhythmically to music. Now that I am older dancing has become my only true outlet. I dance to almost every style of dancing and now I am obsessed with Latin American dancing; which so happens to be what my independent book is about.

 Latin Dancing by: Dessi & Orod Ohanians they teach you step by step of many of the styles of Latin Dancing such as Salsa, Lambada, Meringue, etc. (1)
As for now I'm going to get into Salsa."...a melting pot of many Latin and Afro-Caribbean dances.."(Dessi,10)
Let's get started!


The first part is pretty simple, it's just forward and backward steps, but with hip movements.(Don't worry guys, this part is the same for men too.)
1.) You stand with your feet together.
2.) Take the first step forward with your left foot.
3.) Make sure that your hip follows the direction of the foot.
4.) On the 4th beat make sure your feet come together.
5) Follow the same steps but on the opposite foot.
(19)



You can burn some serious calories if you're doing it correctly :)

Did you have fun? I know I did. It's honestly more enjoyable if you add music some suggestions could be...

  • Har-You Percussion Group Welcome to the Party
  •  Los Titanes Merecumbe 
  • It’s a Man’s World Ray Barrett


Next time I'll try to show you the Merengue


4 comments:

  1. Fun - I love salsa - I taught it here for about 6 years and I am helping to choreograph this year's performance. I think dancing is REALLY fun, but you have to put in some time learning the basics before you can let go and really let the creativity flow (that's my favorite part).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This years performance was fantastic! I think you always have to put time into learning anything new (especially art) before you can begin to enjoy yourself. Ms, Robinson, what's your favorite dance style?

      Delete
  2. Amran, GIRL I LOVE DANCING! It is my true passion and I love your blog about salsa and I tried this out myself. I am still a little confused on the steps and I would love to see more blogs about different styles of dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you it's nice to see another dancer lover! Just keep practicing I'm sure you'll get it right. What parts are you confused on? My independent book is about Latin American dancing so that's all you will be seeing, enjoy and thanks for commenting Frances! :)

      Delete