Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Perfect Piano

In the book Improve Your Piano Playing, the author, Dr. John Meffen, includes many ideas on ways to bring your piano talents to a whole new level. To start off the book, he makes suggestions about different aspects of the piano that create the perfect piano just right for you.

The right piano for you is very important because it determines the limits on how well you play. Meffen says "you will only be capable of playing as well as your piano will allow." (11). I agree with his theory because in my experiences, playing on a nice grand piano makes you sound a lot better than if you play on a tiny keyboard.

Another factor that contributes to a piano's quality is its tone. Tone is probably the most important component in a piano because it is the sound that you hear that influences what people think of your playing. (Meffen 11). The ideal tone for a good piano should sound clear and resonant, never dull. (Meffen 12). It also shouldn't be too harsh and sharp or too soft and mushy. (Meffen 12).

I took these ideas into consideration when purchasing my piano. It was a very inexpensive upright piano that has beautiful tones. I really like the way it sounds and feels and believe that it has helped me become a better pianist. Thanks to Meffen's suggestions, I have a great piano to display my talent at its highest potential.


















Here are pictures of my piano. Future posts will probably include me playing on it so stay tuned.

QOTD: What are your thoughts about piano?

Citation: Meffen, John, Dr. Improve Your Piano Playing. New York: Allworth Press, 2007. Print.

5 comments:

  1. I know that most people who are really into piano consider it to be a fundamental instrument. That is, they feel that piano is essential for all/any good understanding of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really agree with them because I feel that piano can imitate almost all instruments since there are now electric pianos that can be changed to have sounds of a violin or a guitar. I also like pianos because they have really high and low ranges in sound, something that a lot of instruments can't make.

      Delete
    2. Hi Kenny! I really like the your piano blog posts and to say I love the piano, I can say this i really cheezy but pianos when you play them and put your finger on the notes it makes you feel like you've gone to another world once you start playing the piano. You can show so much emotion just through a piano and thats why I love playing the piano! Anyways you are really good so keep on going at it!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Michelle! I sometimes feel that too. When a song sounds really good when I play it, I really enjoy the music and feeling it creates.

      Delete
  2. Traditional pianos are the best since they really give that rich and soft tone that electric pianos don't have.  FInding the perfect piano is hard though, as I had help to pick mine.  The most important is not only the tone, but it's also if you like it or not.  The more you like an instrument, the more you will play it.  I really love piano myself and still play it to this day!

    ReplyDelete