Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2014

There is Always a Good Time for Pumpkin Pie!

In my family we cook everything from scratch. We don't buy pre made food for the holidays or even for our day to day life. We make everything from pies to macaroni salad from scratch. My mom has never served pasta sauce from a jar. My passion for cooking has always been there because I like to experiment with new and old recipes.

Ever since I was little, I have grown up with my grandma's pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving dinner and whenever we can convince her to make a pie for us. For the first time I finally made my own, very first, pumpkin pie. As you can imagine it was hard to follow behind my grandma's foot steps because hers is so good. My grandma made her pie for Thanksgiving but I felt the day after Thanksgiving would be the perfect time for myself to try my own pie from Ree Drummond's book The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays. This book gave me helpful tips to making the perfect pumpkin pie so I could give my grandma a run for her money in baking the best pumpkin pie.

First, I hade to make the pie crust, which is the hardest part of making a pie from scratch. To begin, I added the flour, salt, shortening and butter in a large bowl. Then I used the pastry cutter to mix it until it looked like coarse crumbs. (286) Coarse crumbs are basically small pebbles of the butter and flour so there are no big chunks of butter left in the mixture. Then you beat the eggs in a separate bowl, not just add the egg in the bowl with the rest of your mixture. Add the egg into the mixture once you have beaten it and then add the vinegar, and cold water. (286) Lastly, you stir it all together and divide the dough into two balls to put into the freezer.


Next, came the easy part, making the filling. The trick is to buy "pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling" (284) My grandma always uses pumpkin pie spice, but this recipe called for ground cloves, cinnamon and ginger. Another trick was to "whisk until the mixture is smooth" Whisking helps the filling not be over stirred and makes sure you get all the ingredients smoothed together. Once I finished the filling, it was time to roll out the dough.

Rolling out the dough is  hard because I learned very quickly that it cracks easily when rolling. To help prevent cracking, you lightly flour the surface you are rolling on and flour the rolling pin. (280) You then start from the middle and roll out the dough so it is " about 1 inch larger in diameter than the top of your pie pan" (280). Once I finished with rolling out the dough I put it in my pie pan and added a design around the edges by using my finger and pinching around the finger (280). A tool I used was the cat spatula to help turn the dough over so it wouldn't stick so much.

Then I filled the crust with the filling and put it in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes and reduced the heat to 350 degrees and cooked the pie for another 40 minutes.

I knew when to pull the pie out "when it's no longer jiggly" (285) Once I pulled it out of the oven it needed to sit for about an hour so it wouldn't be as puffy. To my surprise it was just as good as my grandma's! My grandma uses sour cream in her pie so my pie had more of a pumpkin taste to it. Everyone loved it and went back for seconds!
Q: Have you ever made a pie from scratch, if so what kind?
Citation: Drummond, Ree. A Year of Holidays. N.p.: William Morrow Cook, 2013. Print.



10 comments:

  1. We also cook everything from scratch at our home. I recently made a kabocha squash pie with a gingersnap crust from a squash that we grew in our garden. It was delicious - very similar to a pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to know that other people still make everything from scratch! Your pie sounds very good and I like how you used what you grew in your garden. My family also grows many things in our garden in the summer that we use in our cooking and it taste great. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Your pumpkin pie looks delicious. Just resently, for Thanskgiving, I made a pecan pie from scratch. I can say that using the store bought pie crust works just aswell. I also made a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, but with the store bought crust, and it tasted scrumptious. One trick I learned is that if you want a design around the edge you can use 3 fingers and pinch the crust between the 3 fingers and it looks awesome!!!! Congrats on making your first pie I bet it tasted as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip with the three fingers for the design on the crust. I will try it the next time I make a pie!

      Delete
  3. Well, it looks better than any of the junk I get from the store, I may have to try making this myself. xD Also try adding nutmeg to the top, it adds a bit more kick to the pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my goal was it to look better then the ones from the store! Thank you for the tip for adding nutmeg to the top to add more spice to the pie I will try that next time!

      Delete
  4. Your pie looks so good! I can't believe it was your first time making pumpkin pie, the only pie I have ever made was in Creative Cooking and it was apple and it was terrible, nothing compared to yours! if you are able to, can you give me that pie crust recipe? it would definitely be put to good use, Great job Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! It was definitely difficult and took a lot of time but I am hoping next time it will go a little faster. Here is the recipe for the Pie crust:
      3 cups of all-purpose flour
      1 teaspoon salt
      3/4 cup vegetable shortening, cut into pieces
      3/4 cup of butter (1 and a half sticks), cut into pieces
      1 egg
      1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
      5 tablespoons cold water
      Combine the first 4 ingredients into a bowl and use a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse crumbs
      Beat egg with fork and add to mixture
      Add the last 2 ingredients and stir together until it comes all together
      But into two balls and stick it into the freezer
      Pull out 30 minutes before you need to use it. Enjoy!!

      Delete
  5. I have made some pies from scratch before a few being pumpkin, apple, and a multi-berry pie. Your pie looks really delicious. For the part of when it is no longer jiggly, my family uses a toothpick to see if anything sticks to the toothpick instead, if nothing or very little sticks to the toothpick then we know that the pie is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! Thanks for the advice with the toothpick I might do that next time so I am for sure that it is all the way done baking.

      Delete