Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cookies with a Twist

          Everyone knows the basic chocolate chip cookie, but have you ever added anything to it to make it special? Well the book Crazy About Cookies by Krystina Castella encouraged me to add toffee to the chocolate chip cookie, the recipe is:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup all- purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking power
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
( Castella, page 77)

Toffee Recipe
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 sticks of Butter
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
 ( Castella, page 77)

So I wanted to challenge my self and make the toffee, which Castella says I could buy or make it (77). This would be the second time I would be making candy, the first time I did I made Honey Comb, which turned out great. I had to boil all the ingredients for the toffee till it reached 310 degrees Fahrenheit (Light crack stage). Here are 3 pictures of me boiling the ingredients, the toffee when finished, and the toffee after I crushed it:





So after I made and crushed the toffee, I made the cookie dough after pre heating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. When making the cookies I decided to doubled all the ingredients because I wanted to hand them out friends and family, but I realized I only had one egg but I needed two, so I added enough vegetable oil to make the dough the consistency of a cookie dough. Then I just added a cup of crushed toffee to the batter to finish it off. Here are pictures of the pre-cooked dough to the finished cookie:



The cookies surprised me because I didn't expect the toffee to melt, if I were to do this again I would by the toffee to see any difference and buy eggs.

What do you use as a replacement for eggs?

For the next recipe I want to do from my book I want to try and make herb and spice cookies. Which one(s) should I make?

Lavender cookies, rosemary cookies, Fennel cookies, Marigold cookies , Anise cookies, Cardamom cookies, pepper cookies, mint cookies, Caraway cookies, or chai tea cookies.

Let me know!
by Bonnie Lengele

Citation
Castella, Krystina. Crazy about Cookies: 300 Scrumptious Recipes for Every Occasion & Craving. New York: Sterling, 2010. Print.

16 comments:

  1. This looks like a really good recipe that I will have to try in the near future. There are a lot of different scientific elements that go into baking such as with the cookies that you baked and there are a lot of chemical reactions that can go wrong if the proportions of the ingredients are wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never really looked at baking as chemical reactions before. Cool! I was nervous about having only one egg, I thought it would mess the recipe up, I think only having one egg only altered my cookies a little bit. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Bonnie, I like the idea of the toffee added to the chocolate chop cookies to make it different and it was really cool that you made your own! A trick that I have learned to prevent melting is to put the cookies once you scoop them into the refrigerator for 5 minutes so the chocolate or toffee won't melt when you bake them. I think you should make the mint cookies, those sound the best to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely use that refrigerator trick next time! I think I might freeze them next time maybe because the store bought ones do that :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Those cookies looks EXTREMELY good! They're making me hungry. Haha. The toffee seems like its not that difficult to make. I feel like you just have to make sure you have the temperature right and make sure you don't burn it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toffee isn't too complicated, like it's basically sugar. I feel the hardest part for me was getting the sugar to the right temperature, and cooling the toffee without ruining any equipment. Oh and cleaning the utensils, that was a pain in the butt. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. The cookie dough looks so good and the cookies tasted amazing too! Toffee seems so hard to make. When I run out eggs for baking I don't replace it. I just go buy more, but using vegetable oil is a good idea. I think you should make the mint cookies or chai tea cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you got to try one! toffee was like a medium difficulty, cleaning the pots was the real big task. I should of bought more eggs, the car was being used by my mother for work so that option didn't seem relevant at the time. Mint seems to be a popular response :) but the chai seems so fun to make! I want to make something exotic. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  5. One thing I find that works as a replacement for eggs is butter. When I was baking gluten free cookies the recipe called for 2 eggs and I only had 1. I just doubled the ammount of butter that the recipe called for. I am not sure if this trick will work for regular cookies but it definately works for gluten free ones. Also I think you should try making the chai tea cookies, I'm a big fan of tea!! Anyways good luck on your next baking adventure Bonnie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter seems like a great option, I will definitely try that next time if I'm out of eggs, there is a gluten free recipe in my book so I think I might try that, The chai and mint cookies seem to be the popular wishes for the next cookie. I want to try something exotic too, so maybe I might do 2 different types of spices in different batches. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  6. I use ground flax seed and water to replace eggs often. I have high cholesterol and I have to do things like this to limit my intake. Lavender cookies sound divine. :) Your cookies look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the flax seed advice! My family loves flax seeds, at my Nana's house we have a flax seed cruncher and they put it on everything. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  7. Your cookies were exceptionally good! The toffee was delicious and really added to the cookie. I think that you should do the lavender cookies because I hear that certain lavender drinks are to die for, so maybe the cookies will be too! Best of luck baking(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! lavender cookies would be amazing but I can't find nay lavender, so I made my herb cookies and they ended up with rosemary and mint. I have never heard of a lavender drink before but it sounds delicious! thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  8. Just reading your blog made me want to shove my face with those cookies. They sound super tasty! I have tried to make toffee in the past just for the heck of it and oh my word it did not turn out well at all. Thus, I am very impressed and curious as to how you made yours so successfully! Next time I have to go to a special event and I'm in charge of bringing dessert, I definitely know what I'm bringing! Although you have already made your next post, a recipe I was interested in was the Chai Tea Cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! So some advice about toffee would be is to rarely stir, because it could crystalize and make your toffee gritty. Also, stay near your stove and make sure you have the sugar mixture in a tall pot because when it heats up it will expand and might overflow. Then when you make the cookies, freeze the toffee before putting it in the dough because it will melt. (I got this advice from someone after baking them). If you add 1 tsp. of baking soda to the toffee you can make 'Honey Comb'. I made chai tea cookies for fun the other day and I used real chai tea, the cookie looked unappetizing (like a pile of sand) but the flavor was great. You might not like it if don't like tea, Thanks for commenting!

      Delete