Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Starting a Better Life

If you know me, you would know i am generally a happy person. The reason I am reading this book is to give me ideas of what to do when I am feeling a little under the weather. Although I have not finished reading the entire book, the author does give some good ideas on how to be a happier person right off the bat.

One of the things the author Gretchen Rubin suggest to do it to get more sleep, or try to go to bed earlier. Which I would think is a great idea, because who doesn't love sleep? "Another study suggested that getting one extra hour of sleep each night would do more for a persons daily happiness than getting a $60,000 raise." (19). A lot of people might think that 5 extra minutes in the morning might not make a  big different, but from personal experience it certainly does. 



Not only does getting enough sleep make you happier it is also good for your health. A few things sleeping can do is improve your memory, " During sleep you can strengthen memories or "practice" skills learned while you were awake (it's a process called consolidation)." Health. Also after a good night sleep you have lots of energy throughout the day to do all of your daily activity. Like in my case, I do sports after school. To do sport you will always need to be healthy and for sure have had a good nights rest the day before to be able to preform at your best.


That is one simple thing that can make you a happier person. It's funny to think that one simple thing can change a whole persons attitude.

Q: Do you think you would be a happier person if you got more sleep every night ?

15 comments:

  1. I do find that I am more patient, less easily irritated, and an overall more pleasant person to be around when I have slept well. I find that it usually takes more than just one night of decent sleep to effect change in my persona. I generally need a few nights in a row of quality sleep before it impacts my demeanor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the complete opposite for me! With one good nights rest I can feel a lot better, and feel like i have a lot of energy to do the tasks of the day!

      Delete
  2. In my case I feel it is harder to wake up in the morning when I go to sleep early, meaning more sleep. I wonder why this is, although when I sleep well (not waking up often) I am a happier person to be around in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because you know your waking up to go to school! (X But that sometimes happens to me too! Maybe we need to get 8 hrs of sleep every night to get our bodies used to the sleep schedule.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, If I'm a bore to be around, it usually means that I haven't gotten at least eight hours of sleep. Even if I do though, I can still be a bit cross with people. I should probably rethink my sleep schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think every person needs to figure out by themselves how many hours is too much sleep and how many hours is too little.

      Delete
  5. I also am a happier person when I get more sleep. Without enough sleep I'm either really weird or irritated and impatient. Like you said, even that extra 5 minutes in the morning helps. But I have heard that if you get too much sleep it can actually make you tired as well. So it's important to get just the right amount of sleep to be happy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Multiple people have told me that 20 minutes is the perfect amount for a power nap! Because it isn't too much sleep or too little. I guess it just depends on the person everyone is different, so everyone will have different sleep schedule they like to follow.

      Delete
  6. I agree with the previous comments that there is a fine line between the right amount of sleep and too much sleep. From my experiences, I have found that I am just as tired when I wake up from 6 hours of sleep or 11 hours of sleep. Getting the right amount of sleep is important for you body and your mind. I think that by getting a healthy amount of sleep will help reduce stress and I think that is important because a lot of kids our age are constantly stressed out from school and other activities they do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree! Statistically the perfect amount of sleep for kids our age is between 7 and 9 hours. That give us enough brain power to help brain studies, so like while your at school you can concentrate. But also we have to eat a healthy breakfast everyday to jump start the day. So you can have good neutrinos in your body so you can function the whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Someday I think I would, but if i am asleep for too long I feel like I wasted away my day and was unproductive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes feel like that, especially if I knew that I had things to do. But once sleeping in once in a while never hurt anyone.

      Delete
  9. I'd have to say Sam your way of a better life will work with anybody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! Because who doesn't like to sleep right!?

      Delete