Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Pitching

Pitching is an essential part of the game. Without good pitching a team will tend to struggle. Pitching has completely evolved over the years and is now extremely complex to the evolution of hitting. According to my book Splitters, Squeezes, and Steals, in the past, "The pitcher's elbows and wrists were kept stiff, and his main objective was to allow the batter to hit the ball" (Gentile 10). If the pitchers were to do this nowadays the final scores would be extremely high due to the fact that the hitters have gotten better.

Even though I haven't pitched a whole lot before I have been working on my pitching to add another element to my game. Uses my book I have gotten advice on how to throw certain pitches and when to throw these pitchers during  a game.

The first pitch that I've been working on is the fastball. Most people tend to think of the fastball as a pitch where you get the ball and throw it as hard as you can but it is much more than that. The fast ball is gripped by placing your index and middle finger on your throwing hands across the seams of the baseball. Your thumb is placed under the baseball. To throw a fastball you bring your arm straight to home plate to cause the ball to move straight. Fastballs tend to be thrown earlier in the count because it should be your most accurate pitch.

The second pitch I have been working on is the curveball. To get the ball to actually curve takes a lot of practice and experimentation. To throw a curveball you place your middle finger and index finger on the seam with your thumb underneath the baseball. To get the ball to curve you need to snap your wrist downwards at an angle before throwing the ball. The curveball is usually a pitcher's strikeout pitch and is used less often then a fastball because it tends to hurt your arm if you throw it repeatedly due to the awkward motion.

My last pitch I have been working on is the split-finger fastball (splitter). According to Roger Craig, who had a pretty good splitter during his career, said that the forkball, which is similar to the splitter, is pushed back as far as you can into your fingers while the splitter, "'is closer to your fingertips and you have your fingers higher on the ball. You can throw it a lot harder'" (Gentile 55). As shown in the picture you place the ball between your index and middle finger with your thumb on the bottom of the baseball. When you throw a splitter you snap your wrist downwards right before release to cause the ball to drop down. The splitter is also a strikeout pitch that deteriorates your arm if repeatedly used.

Q: Is there another pitch that you have heard of?
Citation: Gentile, Derek. Splitters, Squeezes, and Steals: The inside Story of Baseball's Greatest Techniques, Strategies, and Plays. New York: Black Dog & Leventhal, 2009. Print.

6 comments:

  1. Nice work with your blog post. Sorry, I don't know anything about baseball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its ok baseball's a very hard sport to attach to since it can be either very entertaining or very boring unlike football where there's nonstop action.

      Delete
  2. Conner! I am so impressed. I feel so educated and prepared to head down to my next baseball game now. I have always wondered how pitchers are able to throw different pitches in such completely different styles. I find it quite fascinating considering the fact that I can barely throw a baseball to save my life. I always get mocked by Jeremy for my "unique" way. But thanks to your blog I think I could show him I have a couple tricks up my sleeve :). Which pitch have you found the most enjoyable to throw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! Jus to let you know you are probably a better pitcher than Jeremy. Jeremy can't pitch to save his life. I think my favorite pitch to throw is the curveball because of the ball's movement. It's crazy how you can manipulate a pitch to somehow curve in a way you wouldn't think would be possible.

      Delete
  3. Man, those pitches would have been nice to know when I played baseball! I liked how you described the position of your hand on the baseball, the movement of the arm, and when to do it in the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor! Some of these pitches do come in handy because if you throw a fastball every time you're likely going to get hit off of. These pitches probably would of given you the edge when you played.

      Delete