Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Lighting Up The Snow

In The Photographer's Handbook by John Hedgecoe, he provides a guide for photographers who already are familiar with a camera, but want to excel further in their work. Hedgecoe shares techniques and how-to's to all different types of photography. I decided to expand my knowledge and use of texture and natural light by following Hedgecoe's advice.

Hedgecoe says that "lighting is key to texture photography (Hedgecoe 182)." I decided to go outside to use natural lighting, and a snowy, wooden bench as my subject for texture. These are the examples given by Hedgecoe for texture and natural lighting:



After looking at the picture of wood for texture, and a temple for natural lighting, I took these into account as inspiration as I went out for my photoshoot. I took into account the quality lighting and the subtlety of the subject's texture while trying to work with the slightly diffused and directional lighting the sun provided (Hedgecoe 182). I was very pleased with the overall photo after editing the contrast and warmth.


How can you use natural lighting in your photography?


Citation:
Hedgecoe, John. The Photographers Handbook: A Complete Reference Manual of Techniques, Procedures, Equipment and Style. New York: Knopf, 1977. Print.







2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photograph. I do a lot of amateur photography and only use natural light - I have read/learned through trial/error that indirect natural light is the best for lighting any subject matter. I usually try to take pictures just after dawn and just before dusk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I agree with you that natural, indirect lighting is the best lighting for lighting subjects. I love going out for a shoot at dawn or dusk because this is what I call "tight light" and are the best times of the day for photography because they provide long, dark shadows and warm, intense light. I prefer natural light any day over studio lighting -- even for still life.

    ReplyDelete