Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Life with a Dog


Living with a four legged friend can be stressful but can also be a blessing. Author Val Mallinson, a dog lover and author quotes, "In our demanding- driven lives, filled with rules and requirements for what we must do, the faithful creatures who sit at our feet expect so little of us." (1) "They know the big wide world out there holds more wonders than they can possibly fit into their short dog lifetimes." (2) These 2 simple quotes made me stop and think about how my dog, Dexter, has a short lifespan and how I can easily spend quality time with him by exploring the great outdoors.


The first place I went to with Dexter was Grandview Dog Park in Kent which Val Mallison rated 4 out of 4 paws.


Dexter was a little too "playful" due to the fact that he is a small 2 year old Morkie; (Maltese/ Yorkie) this was a first time experience for the both of us going to a dog park.

I found that Dexter was the loudest one there at the dog park and wanted to play with the other large dogs. I had to pull him away and try to find an area without any dogs around so that Dexter could spend some alone time exploring new grounds he has never discovered.


After spending 20 minutes at Grandview Dog Park I can conclude that I should start having Dexter interacting with more dogs and bring him out to places whenever I get the chance where dogs are allowed. By reading Val Mallinson's book, my next goal is to bring Dexter out to another different scenery and stay for at least 30 minutes.

My question to dog owners is, do you believe you and your dog will have a stronger bond by taking them outdoors?

Citation:
Mallinson, Val. The Dog Lover's Campanion to the Pacific Northwest. Emeryville: Avalon Travel, 2005. Print.


6 comments:

  1. No dog, but my cat does go for walks outdoors with us. It is animal nature to be outside, so it would follow logically that if you take them to do something that comes so inherently naturally to them that your bond would strengthen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost forgot that there are other animals besides dogs that owners take out on walks. I also have to agree with you on your answer because I can see how you can earn a bond with you and your pet by taking them outdoors by spending the time together.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love dogs so much! I think that my dog and I would be a lot closer if I took her on more walks. Maybe ill use your blog to help get closer to my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      Thank you for the answer/ insight on your view towards dogs! :) I am glad that my blog is helpful and hope that the rest of my blogs will become useful to you and your dogs life together.

      Delete
  3. I believe that you and your dog develop a stronger bond when you go out and do things with them. Taking them for regular walks and things like this help further your relationship and creates a trust between you and the dog. Dogs need to feel loved because they want to be part of the pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jarrett,
      Thanks for the answer and I have to agree with your thoughts! I noticed that my dog has the strongest bond with me than the rest of my family because I am usually the one who takes my dog out.

      Delete