Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Simple Changes To Your Diet

The foods that we love the most are also the ones that can hurt us the most.

Joel Fuhrman, a medical doctor who focuses on human dietary habits and the author of "The End OF Diabetes" warns readers of how our diets can effect everything from our health to how much energy we have. He tells how the modern American diet is full of processed foods that are bad for our body. He also states that eating nutritious food is good for more then just preventing diabetes, and that it can even help with how much energy athletes have.

I decided to see if changing my diet for 1 week would have any visible change in how I felt. In the book it tells of the benefits of substituting things like rice and potato's for greens and beans. Some of the benefits were "a sensation of fullness, Increased nutrients and fibers,  and lower glucose level" (Fuhrman 96). I would also be cutting out any fast food and trying to eat fresh meals that didn't include much processed foods. He says "beans are the best source of fiber"(Fuhrman 97). So I will try to incorporate those into my diet.  For the first 3 days of the week I ate my normal side of  potatoes and rice, and then swapped them out with green beans, spinach, and broccoli for the remaining 4 days.

Example of a starch. The potato
Example of a green. Broccoli

I noticed that I actually did feel fuller faster even though I had consumed fewer calories. I also felt more energized as the day went on compared to when I was eating fast food and the potato's.

What are some foods that you can replace with healthier foods in your life?

Fuhrman, Joel. The End of Diabetes: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post, but you need to make certain to include a question in order to foster discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have edited my post so it includes a question that relates to my blog post.

      Delete
  2. You portray potatoes as an unhealthy choice although sweet potatoes are very healthy as they are filled with carotenoids and are full of nutrients. Also for a long term small fix, if you really enjoy your side of potatoes, eat them cold rather than right out of the oven. This will allow a slower steadier supply of energy from the carb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I meant to portray them as a choice that could be replaced by something better.

      Delete