Pages

Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Mysterious Eye


~ I am not a professional make-up artist, I am a teenage girl that is testing out ~
different techniques In order to become better at makeup

Let me tell you right off the start that makeup isn't an easy thing to do. It takes practice, determination, and patience, which not many people have at six in the morning. Everyday girls around the world wake up and do their makeup, but I am here to make your life simpler. The Book Glamour's Beauty and Health Book provide different tips that will shorten your morning makeup routine to eight minutes!! Now I know what your thinking, "Melanie there is no way that I can do all my makeup in 8 minutes." Trust me you can, but for now we can just focus on trying to do a smokey eye. The first step to doing a smokey eye is figuring out what eye shape you have, because this can affect the highlighting and shading that the eye shadow does. In the book it says "Although heavy shadowing and lining of any kind looks unnatural now, bear in mind the color-contour rule that deeper tones de-emphasize, and the brighter paler ones bring out eye features"(132). The book is telling us that depending on the shape of your eyes, and how you decide to highlight, can really bring out a different look in you. It can help really accentuate your eyes, and eye color. Also in this book most of the techniques come with easy steps and tips so you can really understand how to do the different techniques.

Here are the 8 simple step to doing a smokey eye ( These are steps I created from reading the book, Pictures Included).

Before you look at the steps here is a diagram that shows you what the different terms are.

1. Figure out your eye type. I found that I had round eyes.


2. Prime your eye lids with either a eye primer, or a regular concealer. Spread it all over above and below the eye, because this can help make the shadows last all day



3. Use a very light shade that almost blends with your skin tone to highlight the brow bone and the inner corner

4. Use a light brown and pat the shadow down on the outer corner of your eye lid, and with a sweeping motion move towards your crease

5. Then take a black eye shadow and on your outer corner make a sweeping C shape, from your lash line all the way to your crease


6. Take a clean brush and just blend the colors together


7. Use the light brown shade to sweep the shadows under the eye
8. Last but not least, and optional, add some mascara or even some eye liner

This is the final look I got.

I would consider this a success. All and All the look took me about 4 minutes to do, and this was just my first attempt. I'm sure that as I practice more on my smokey eye that I'll be able to do it in 2 minutes! Remember that a smokey eye can be worn to school, or even a formal event. I feel that my book has helped me be able to finally do something cool with my eye makeup, instead of just putting on mascara. Also in the book it is mentioned that "You'll discover too a special section on correcting eye shapes with makeup, because eyes after all are the real focal points of beauty on any face"(22). In other words your eyes have their own special shape and with makeup you can enhance your beautiful eyes in different ways, they are after all the windows to the soul. You could apply makeup that focused on your eye color or you could apply makeup that is focused on your hair color. My tip is to experiment, tryout different things and see which ones you like and go with it. But remember that makeup is always about confidence! Rock what you put on and don't care what others think as long as you like it.

Some questions I have for all you readers are, how much time do you spend on makeup in the morning? Is makeup always necessary to wear to school? Is makeup a practical thing to spend time doing in the morning?

Citation
The Editors of Glamour Magazine, ed. Glamour's Beauty & HealthBook. New York:
     Condé Nast Publications, 1972. Print.



12 comments:

  1. First of all, nice work - it looks gorgeous. No, I don't wear make-up. I spend 0 minutes every morning on make-up. Sometimes I will wear mascara; that takes me about 3 minutes. I don't think you have to wear make-up to school. I do not find it to be a very effective part of a morning routine for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs. Robison! First off thank you for saying it looks nice, this was one of my first time experimenting with eye make-up. I, like you, don't usually wear make-up to school and if I do it is a little powder and mascara. I definitely agree with you that make-up is a preference, and that it doesn't need to be apart of an everyday routine. Do you think make-up is for more formal events, or is it a casual thing?

      Delete
  2. Your smokey eye is perfect! And to answer your question, if i feel like wearing makeup, it takes me about two to fifteen minutes. I feel like its not really necessary to wear make-up to school. If you just want to hid like a zit here or there and enhance some of your features then that's fine, but if you cake up your face and you look completely different then I feel like that's going too far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christene thank you for commenting on my post! I completely agree with everything you said about wearing make-up. We are totally on the same page when it comes to wearing make-up to school, If I can see it you have to much. once again thank you for the compliment, I hope you will come back and see my next post :)

      Delete
  3. The eye shadow looks beautiful! You did a really good job for your first time especially since you were experimenting with dark colors! You look beautiful with and without makeup Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren for looking at my post. I was a little nervous with the dark colors because I wasn't sure if it was going to look right with my eye color! Also thank you, you also look great with and without makeup :)

      Delete
  4. It really looks amazing! Great job! and answering your question I take about 2-5 minutes doing my makeup when I feel like it or have the energy to wake up. I don't think you really need to wear makeup because I think all girls are beautiful with or without it! Honestly I don't think you need to put makeup or take time everyday but putting on makeup makes you feel awaken rather than tired sometimes. I think makeup should be where you enhance your beauty not over do it or destroy it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! I completely agree with you, I only wear makeup when I want to and I don't have to walk out of the house every morning with a whole face of makeup. I will say though that since I have started to wear more makeup I'm finding myself waking up earlier and feeling more energized, just like you said. I also agree with makeup enhancing and not over doing it. Thanks again for looking at my post

      Delete
  5. Hey Melanie! Your smokey eye looks so good! So usually when I get up in the morning I spend about 10-20 minutes on my make-up. I do not think it is necessary to wear make-up to school but I like to do it to make myself feel better and I do not feel that it is very practical but I do it anyway. God job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michaela thank you so much! I find that now that I am starting to wear more make up I want to spend more and more time on it to make it look good. I completely agree that makeup can make a person feel better about their appearance, more confident even though its not always practical, thanks again for commenting :).

      Delete
  6. First of all- amazing job! To answer your question; some days I wear absolutely no makeup but on days where I want to try to look nice it takes me about an hour and a half to do my makeup. I think makeup isn't necessary for girls but it can definetly be an asset to looking put together even on days where you may not feel put together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melanie! Your smokey looks amazing by the way! When I have the time to do my makeup, it takes me around 15 to 20 minutes. I don't believe it's necessary to wear makeup to school, but it's an individual's own preference whether it be to feel confident or enhance physical features, makeup is fun. Makeup and busy schedules don't usually correlate well, so i often go without.

    ReplyDelete