Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2014

pass the ball

Basketball was my favorite sport when I was little. And still now I love the game. Throughout my years of playing basketball, I thought my form and positioning was good, when I pass a ball to someone. But the book Winning Basketball for girls, By: Faye Young Miller and Wayne Coffey. It made me realize that my form and positioning wasn't correct. And taught me the correct way. There are three steps on getting a good chest pass.




The first step is that you need to have a proper hand placement for throwing the pass: Thumbs close together, elbows in, fingers spread comfortably over the ball. (56). According to the book the more "hand" you have on the ball, the more you can control it (56). This way made me feel comfortable with the ball. And also made me have a better grip on the ball.



The second step you need to do is to step towards your target (57). which is the person you are going to pass the ball to. 



The third step is to thrust your arms outward, and release the ball with both hands using a quick snap of the wrists(57). But don't forget to follow through with palm facing out and thumbs pointing down(57). This made me also realize that when you are following through, it states in the book, That this will give the ball zip, accuracy, and good rotation. (57).




When doing a chest pass, do you forget to follow through when you pass the ball to someone?


mla citations: Miller, Faye Young., and Wayne R. Coffey. Winning Basketball for Girls. New York, NY: Facts on File, 1984. Print.







6 comments:

  1. Nice work with your blog post. I really have no knowledge about basketball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sharon, I do find that sometime when I chest pass I forget to follow through, or sometimes I do the one handed chest pass. I find that a lot of people do the one handed chest pass, and have totally forgotten how to do the two handed one correctly. I have a question, do you also pass your chest passes with one hand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I've played basketball for fun in the past I would usually just bounce pass the ball because my chest pass was never strong. I also don't play basketball and wasn't playing with people who played basketball. It makes sense though that if you follow trough the ball will pass stronger. The same thing is with soccer. They say when you strike the ball to follow through with it and land on the foot you kicked the ball with. This is supposed to give your ball more "zip" just like in basketball.
    Great post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes do a one handed chest pass if I want to have a quicker pace, but when it's less intense I would do a two handed chest pass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jazel! i really appreciate this comment! But yeah I agree with you, that when you follow through with the pass it's a much stronger pass.

    ReplyDelete