Pages

Monday, November 24, 2014

Don't Be Stupid


In Stuff Every Player Should Know, Dick DeVenzio is not simply teaching proper shooting technique and ways to improve your vertical. He has written a guide to success in basketball through doing the little things. The first step in this was him making sure that we the students are fully aware of who knows best.

"No team ever lost by playing the wrong defense. They lost by playing that defense poorly" (DeVenzio 10). Directly, DeVenzio is telling you to give the defense you are told to play it's best shot, but indirectly, he wants you to know that your coach is always right. That even if your coach is 100% wrong about something, he is still right.


In sports, you have to be able to trust your coach, and must do what they say wholeheartedly. Recently I have had trouble trusting one of my coaches because I don't think he wants what is best for his players, I think he wants what is best for himself to look good in the coaching world. But if I don't listen to him that won't do me any good either, and I just have to believe that he has my best interest.

In your experience, did your team perform better all doing their own thing because they thought the coach was wrong, or all doing the same thing that your coach told them to do?

Citation: 

DeVenzio, Dick. Stuff Good Players Should Know. 3rd ed. Stafford: PGC
     Basketball, 1983. Print. 

9 comments:

  1. I have rarely, if ever, suffered from listening to the good advice of other people. Although, I have resisted their advice from time to time. I truly believe that giving the advice of elders/coaches/those more experienced/skilled than myself an honest chance can be very beneficial. I recently was coached regarding my form in a pose I am really working on. I had been working really hard at the pose and hearing that my form was off was a bit demoralizing, but the small adjustments I was coached to make have already improved my performance dramatically. In my athletic endeavors I have found humility and being open to change to serve me very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Robison, I agree that majority of the time advice from others turns out successfully for me. I just have to trust that they know what they're talking about and do as they say, as well as I can.

      Delete
  2. We do better when we do what the coach told us to do, because when we don't listen to the coach, and we are doing our own things, We end up losing. But when we listen to the coach we are more coordinated in our offense and defense and we know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I'm thinking, that even if your coach is wrong, you still have to do what he says with dying effort because when everybody does their own thing, it turns out badly.

      Delete
  3. Fortunately, I have never had a coach that I did not trust because I think they all wanted the best for their players. These coaches had success teaching us because we knew that our coach was doing the right thing. I'm sorry that you play under a coach you don't trust, but I hope your situation gets better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Majority of the team I play with also feel the same way as me: questioning whether the coach has our best interest, or theirs. As long as we continue to push each other, all of us should still progress as athletes, regardless of the coaching style.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. During High school soccer there was a time when I didn't listen to the coach because I thought she was wrong. She ended up taking me out a sitting me for basically the rest of the half, so I think it's probably better to listen to your coach. But I agree with you, when you don't trust your coach it is hard to listen to what they are saying; especially when you think you know better than them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree Jazel, and I hope that you have learned your lesson and won't ever have to be benched again.

    ReplyDelete