Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Shape of Blog Posts to Come

If you've ever had a conversation with me you probably know I like to listen to music. A lot. Unfortunately, you can't exactly "learn" to listen to music, and no one writes books about how to listen to music, so I can't listen to music and say I'm "learning a skill".
Most people who like to listen to music naturally pick up an instrument, which makes a lot of sense. You take in all these influential ideas, and its only natural to want to replicate that in some way. The only issue is that I'm basically the worst musician ever. And I say this as a guy who likes Royal Trux. I remember in 5th grade I was forced into band and orchestra, and while every other student could manage a little 12 bar song by the end of the first trimester, I could only make a myriad of Dada-esque squeaks and squawks that would make Captain Beefheart proud. At the end of the third trimester I got my worst grade ever in a class - a massive 0 percent.
I didn't really have high hopes for my guitar playing after the whole clarinet thing. After getting my book I figured I could skip the first 20~ page on picking out and buying a guitar seeing as I kinda already had a guitar. I opened to the first page of "Lesson 3 Open Chords and Fingerwork" and tried an A major, which the book considered one of its "Easy Major Chords to Practise". I was capable of mimicking the fingering with ease while making sure to "avoid the fret wires" (26) as the book recommended. When I attempted to "strum slowly with your [my] right hand" (26) I got treated to some Half Japanese level noise. What I'm trying to get at is it sounded like crap.
Hoping it was just that chord I tried C major. Same results. Maybe E major would be better? Nope, not at all. Getting frustrated at this point, I decided to consult "Less 2 First Steps" (where I probably should have started, in retrospect) only to realize I was holding the guitar backwards. With that figured out, I tried my A major again. It sounded better, but better in the same way I'd do better in a fight against a professional boxer than a fully grown tiger.
I took a tuner too it to see if I could figure out the issue. For those who have never played a guitar before (which I assume is like, all of you) here's what strings aren't meant to correspond to what notes.

And this is what I had


 Completely wrong, except for the two E's.
Once I fixed that, I was finally able to get the "good, happy sound" from my major chords the book wanted. At this point I've picked up most of the major chords, all of the minor chords bar F and G, and a solid amount of the 7ths (screw F7 its impossible). I've started to pick up changing chords, which hopefully means I can have a song, or at least a progression by the next time I have to post to here. At least I'm already beating out my clarinet skills.
pic of the bae itself :)

 QOTD: What song should I learn first?


10 comments:

  1. Maybe something pop? Like Brittney Spears or something - that would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up starting with a Johnny Cash song called "I Walk The Line", but your idea is basically spot on. Pop songs typically use fairly easy chord changes and chords, so they work really well for beginners. Lately I've been playing some Taylor Swift songs because they have nice simple changes and aren't too hard for a beginner.

      Delete
  2. The first thing I always do when I pick up my guitar is tune it, mainly because its all I remember how to do. For a firs song I would try a song with only a few notes and also a short song until you get used to holding the guitar. Refer to our generations good friend Google for assistance on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, you don't actually need to tune your guitar every time, only when it gets out of tune which takes a while.

      Delete
  3. I have never learned to play guitar before but I have always wanted to learn. I think that you should learn to play one of Ice cube's songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you can link me one that has actual chords I don't think that would even be possible, unfortunately. Most rap songs consist of a sample or two, a drum line, maybe a synth part, and of course, the rapping. None of these involve chords, so it doesn't translate to guitar well.

      Delete
  4. Very entertaining post. I sometimes forget to tune my guitar before play so I understand where you're coming from. For a first song, I would suggest something with only 4 different chords, but catchy enough that you would enjoy playing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up starting with a 3 chord song because it's even easier. Again, I agree, and thanks for the support.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I can say Guitar is a very interesting instrument every time I get the chance to sit down and relax the Guitar is the way to go! A song you should learn Simple, Starving to be safe - Daphne loves Derby I love the chords and the picking to that song once you play it right on the guitar it sounds like a beauty has been found if I may be seriously honest. But in all keep on "Rolling" with playing the guitar you'll be in love with how much beauty comes out of that thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up that song and I could definitely learn it, I might end up picking it up, because I've been playing a lot of pop stuff to practice the basic chord progressions, and I could probably use practice with picking, as I've only used picking in a couple old country and blues songs that involve different chord progressions.

      Delete