Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Lifting the soccer ball

Hi, my name is Dylan Leeman; welcome to my blog on Soccer IQ. In my IRP blog I will be explaining the most basic skills a soccer player needs to be successful. I will describe 5 clinical skills that are important to learn. These skills are: receiving with the proper foot, passing to the proper foot, lifting the tight angle pass, the ball in behind, and the toe poke.

I love playing soccer and I am very passionate about. I felt like this was the perfect book to help progress my soccer skills.

Sometimes you will find yourself in a situation where the angle in too tight to play on the ground. In this instance if you try to thread a ball through defenders they can easily poke it away with their toe. It is recommended that you only lift the ball about a foot off the ground, just about to the height of where a defender will not be able to get their foot to in time. If you watch games at the professional level you will see this a lot. "A great opportunity for you to practice this skill is during a 3v1 possession drill in training because you will constantly find yourself having to pass along a tight angle" (Blank 18).

Why do you think it is recommended that you only lift the ball a foot off the ground when if you lift the ball all the way over the defender, they have no chance at intercepting it?

11 comments:

  1. My guess would be control. It is always best to maintain as much control of the ball as possible and often those higher kicks seem to cause a loss of aim and the player seems to loose balance/control of their body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for commenting on my blog and i agree with you. Also my coaches always taught me that it makes the speed of play faster when you keep the ball close to or on the ground.

      Delete
  2. i would say to get height, so you can kick the ball farther and towords your targert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a good idea that i never really though of Danny. Thanks for commenting

      Delete
  3. My coach always get's mad if our pass to the other player is hard for them to control. So i'm guessing that if you lift the ball only a foot off the ground it will be way easier for the player receiving the ball to control. Also in a 3v1 it is really hard to keep the passing going for a while because it's so tight so the technique to lift the ball is a good idea.
    Nice blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting on my blog. I have also noticed that coaches do not like it when you play a teammate a pass that is difficult to control.

      Delete
  4. I found the blog post very helpful considering I seem to always do this and it works but i don't do it consistently meaning i give the ball away more often than i could. My question is are there situations in which I need to lift the ball farther off the ground?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting on my blog Noah. There are some instances where it would be better to just keep the ball on the ground instead of lifting it. Also I think there are some situations where you should lift the ball higher off the ground, but i think these are usually situations of desperation.

      Delete
  5. Soccer(ahem, I'm sorry football) is not really a easy sport. When I was younger I used to play a lot, I was never good at it though aha. My guesstimate would be to get the ball farther and closer to the goal or where ever you're trying to get it to. Great post Dylan, great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting on my blog Amran. I never really thought of lifting the ball in the way that you described but after thinking about it i think it is a very good idea.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete