Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Soccer Image

I have been playing soccer since the age of 4; over the years I have always focused on the physical and technical part of the sport. But from reading Dan Abrahams Soccer Tough I also look at the psychological aspect of it.

Prior to reading this book I had always reflected on my mistakes, bad memories, and my weaknesses. From reading this book, I learned that I need to be doing the opposite. Abraham strongly suggested to think constantly about your strengths, dwell on the best moments, resonate your best games, and to know your weaknesses and love to try to improve them. (24)

I have been applying this thinking strategy prior to my games. Before my games I will think about my strengths and all the good moments I've had. This has boosted my confidence majorly, and has positively affected my playing as well.

These thoughts of mistakes, achievements, good games, bad games, strengths, and weaknesses all affect the image that each athlete has of themselves. Abraham called this a players "soccer image" (16) "Every soccer player has a soccer image- an image housed in their mind related to how they see themselves as players" (16). This soccer image that players have of themselves is a strong contributor to how they perform day in and day out. So in order to play well an athlete needs to have a positive image of themselves. Abraham states that "A footballer will never perform better than the image he has of himself" (18).

Having this positive and confident mindset has drastically helped me. Now when I go out on the field I don't think about those bad passes I've made, or those shots that I could have saved. I think about the accurate passes and the great saves I have made in the past. And those mental adjustments that I have made have helped me improve physically and technically.

Have you ever had an experience where having a positive mindset worked?

Abrahams, Dan. Soccer Tough: Simple Football Psychology Techniques to Improve 
     Your Game. Birmingham: Bennion Kearny Limited, 2012. Print.

8 comments:

  1. Great post and pictures - they look almost professional. Please make certain to include a question in your post to facilitate discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100% that you have to block out all of the bad plays that you've made during a game. After the game, when you watch tape, I believe it is okay to view your mistakes, realize where you've gone wrong and make adjustments, but especially right before and during a game you have to focus only on your best plays. I find that in basketball if I am about to shoot and think about the last play where I missed, I will miss that one too, but if I imagine all of my swishes, the shot goes in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree that you should review your mistakes later and learn from them. I go through the same thing, if I envision myself succeeding then I will. Its all about positive thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with this. Having a positive self-image is a really good skill to have when playing soccer because it contributes to the way you play. From my experience I know that when I think positively, I play so much better and confident than I would If I would dwell on my mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the same thing goes for me too, it's crazy how the way you think can effect how you play so drastically.

      Delete
  5. I agree that having a positive self-image of yourself will help you play better. I think athletes in any sport would say that having confidence in yourself will raise your game. From my personal experience as a hitter, I found that if you go up to bat with the mentality that you KNOW you're going to hit the ball, good results will occur. There are people who aren't as mentally strong though. I was wondering what you would suggest if an athlete had a hard time trusting themselves and being confident in their abilities? What if the positive self-talk didn't work? Is there something else you could try?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well someone who isn't as mentally confident needs to build trust and confidence in themselves. It's hard but it just takes repetition. Maybe try at practice or when working on your own just mentally tell yourself you can do it. Or you could also talk to others about your issues with your confidence, maybe a friend or team mate so they can encourage you and give you motivational pep talks.

    ReplyDelete