Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Weight Lifting Men vs. Women

   "Weight Lifting Men vs. Women"

  Have you ever wondered why when you walk into the gym, men and women, boys and girls, are all separated? Why no one from the opposite sex wants to workout near each other? I know I've asked these questions at least once or twice. I always get answers back such as, "Why would I want to workout and only look like that?" A guy once asked me pointing to a rather fit girl working her floor routine for abdominals. Some girls I go to the gym with look at me sideways when I walk into the free weight section. It's like they think I'm going to walk in looking like a girl and walk out looking like a grown man on steroids.

Jan and I at the gym weight lifting,
not looking manly at all.

     In the book "Lift Like A Man, Look Like A Goddess" by Lou Schuler, He says, "A powerfully counterproductive notion rose in tandem. That's the idea that women should use exercises and techniques different from those used by men" (Schuler, x). This is the idea most people have, whether they are strength training or not. but this isn't true as Schuler later tells us that, "You'll realize that men and women should be doing workouts that are more similar than different" (Schuler, x). This statement is one not many base their workouts on and could benefit from doing so. Schuler explains further, "men and women look much different coming out from a similar exercise routine, whether its what's wanted or not, our bodies are not made the same" (Schuler, xI). My Dad and I do similar workouts when we go to the gym together and I have been doubting my knowledge on if men and women do get different results from similar workouts. I know I surely don't want to end up looking like him. Schuler is reassuring in his book, "Lift Like a Man, Look Like A Goddess".

We weight lift and are not bulky,
its in the genetics of a female
Chase, my uncle, weight lifts and is bulky
 because he one, uses more weight and two, has the genetics  for a male




















   My dad has been living for the gym for awhile longer than I have, but in our appearance it shows that women can get fast and promising results from lifting like a man. I'll assure you won't end up looking like one as a girl. But as for the guys, don't underestimate any girl lifting near you.  
Hunter, my dad, also weight lifts. We do some of the same routines and we still look much different.

Schuler, Lou, and Cassandra E. Forsythe. The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift like a Man, Look like a Goddess. New York: Avery, 2007. Print.


4 comments:

  1. Very interesting post - I like your voice. Make certain to write a discussion question to help foster collaboration with peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mrs. Robison! My question for this post was "Have you ever wondered why when you walk into the gym, men and women, boys and girls, are all separated? Why no one from the opposite sex wants to workout near each other?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered this as well, I think it is because the opposite sex feels that they have their own territory in the gym, men in the weight lifting section and women on the floor or treadmill. I like how you were able to show how this separation should be closed and women shouldn't be afraid to lift because it is not genetically possible to become as bulky as men. You inspired me to try weight lifting next time I hit the gym, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Madison. I'm glad I was help to you, and that's how I think too, the women are shied away from the bulky men using the weights.

    ReplyDelete