Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Modular Origami

Modular origami is an origami technique that requires two or more pieces of paper that builds into a single unit. It is something I have never done before, but have always wanted to try it out. It takes a lot of time and effort to create one module, but takes even more time and precision to put the entire piece together. The author says that origami is enjoying the creation and the exploration of new possibilities and inventions (Kasahara 60). This shows how origami is the practice of inventing new things, and how creativity can bring out different forms in them. Origami is very difficult, but always completes itself with the feeling of joy and accomplishment.

I spent most of my time trying to figure out the instructions, as they were very complicated with different types of arrows and lines. Once I understood the meanings, I was easily able to create my modules that came out pretty clean and identical to one another.


As I was creating the modules, it had stated, "Make sure to crease the valley fold through all the layers" (Kasahara 63). This meant that I should make sure the fold I had made was very indented, making it easy to keep its shape and had a line on the module. This advice had helped me immensely when I had to put the modules into one single piece. The folds had allowed me to easily fit each end into the pockets required, making the origami take its shape to look clean.


What's your opinion: Do you prefer single piece origami or modular origami and why?


Kasahara, Kunihiko. Extreme Origami. New York: Sterling Pub., 2002. Print.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tim. I personally prefer single piece origami due to its simpleness. This is because when every I've tried multiple piece origami in the past I've never been able to get the pieces to line up in a precise enough way for a good final product. However when I've done single piece I can get precise and have a quality final piece. Although with the result in your success I make me interested in trying origami once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Single piece origami is great and fun. I wouldn't say that single piece origami is easy, but much more linear than modular origami. Modular origami can be tough to put together, since the pieces has to match up perfectly in order to create the desired product. Overall, I hope you are successful with your attempts with origami and thanks for reading my post.

      Delete
  2. I would prefer to do modular origami, because the steps tend to be easy. So it would be easy to make multiple of the same origami figure and then to put it together. But as you said it is difficult to put it together without damaging each piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like creating modular origami. It is very fun to put together, but I would disagree that the steps tend to be easy. I have created many modular origami that takes me hours because of its repetitiveness and the number of folds were in each module. Also, yes it can be very difficult to create a modular origami figure without messing up the corners and other parts when putting it all together.

      Delete
  3. Hi Tim,
    To answer your question, I think I prefer singular origami. This is because I prefer it usually being so simple and the end product is just more stable than in modular origami. Another reason why I would prefer singular origami is that in modular origami it is a lot of repetition in making all of the parts to finally put together as you stated before.

    ReplyDelete