Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Classic Tie Knots

Hey everyone! This is my first OFFICIAL post! I hope you all enjoy! :D

Now that I've gotten further into High School, I've found myself needing to dress up for more and more events. Whether they are Jazz Band performances, or just a school dance, I always have a need to look sharp. The one downside to this however, is that I still have yet to figure out how to properly tie a tie. So over these next few months as I read through the book, How to Tie a Tie, A Gentleman's Guide To Getting Dressed by Ryan Tristan Jin, I will learn the ins and outs of men's fashion and how to tie several different knots. I hope that you find these posts useful, enjoy the journey with me, and are able to apply this in some way like I will! :)

So to start things off the book details how to tie some classic knots that will definitely come in handy for quick semi-formal events where you decide to wear a tie. The first two knots, and most likely the two that are most commonly used are the Windsor and Half Windsor knots. According to Jin, The Half Windsor is the most common of all tie knots, and works well as a less formal knot if the length of your tie is too short (Jin 24). The Windsor on the other hand is described the most classic of all tie knots, requiring a slimmer tie and tighter knots (Jin 18). Both of these, especially the Half Windsor, will certainly come in handy in my life because being in the Jazz Band, I have a constant need to be able to tie a simple knot. The Half Windsor fills this need perfectly as it is a less formal knot and the most common, as stated above. The Windsor also will come in handy for events like school dances, where I want a more formal type of knot while still keeping the process relatively simple. Learning how to tie these knot will be a necessity for me, since I'll need to use them so often.. Below is an example of me tying the Half Windsor, so you can learn how to do this as well. I only highlight tying the knot, but if you are wondering how long your tie should be, it should come down to about the height of your belt buckle.


The next two knots explained by Jin are knots that are commonly used in offices. The author states, "Also known as the Shelby, the Pratt is unusual because it must be tied with the seam of the tie facing outward. ... But we can all agree that it is ideal for the office, thanks to its neat and fairly wide knot" (Jin 34). He later moves on to talk about another knot called the Kent, saying, "Also known as the simple knot, this style is popular in China but is slowly gaining presence in US offices" (Jin 38) While these two knots may not be the most useful for me at the moment, when I get a job in the future or when I have a job interview, these two knots will definitely be the ones I will use. They are formal enough to be used in an office environment and easy enough to be able to tie quickly. So if you are ever looking for a simple knot that still looks nice for work, be sure to look into the Pratt or the Kent. Below I have a picture of the Kent knot, so you are able to see what it looks like in comparison to the Half Windsor shown above. They look pretty similar but have a few differences, such as the Kent being more symmetrical and working better for creating a longer tie.


In more general terms of life, I feel like this book is already making me see just how many possibilities that this world has for you to be unique. I mean there's so many different ways to express yourself, and not all of them have to be overly glamorous. Just looking at this one area of clothing, there are so many possible ways to tie a tie, which in turn translates into an indefinite amount of ways to express yourself. With me being a shy person this will really help because now I know that I can show people who I am with something as simple as a tie knot. We're all unique, and we're all different, so just embrace it and show the world who you are.

I hope that these introductory knots will be useful to you all, and I look forward to sharing more information with you in the future! I've said my piece, so now it's time to turn it over to you: Have you used or plan on using any of these knots? Also, what are some ways that you express yourself?

Jin, Ryan Tristan. How to Tie a Tie a Gentleman's Guide to Getting Dressed. New York: Potter Style, 2015. Print.


0 comments:

Post a Comment