Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Japanese cuisine - Food placement


          There are many aspects to Japanese cuisine. One of the main aspects includes the arrangement of food. I personally have witnessed Japanese food arrangement when i was in Hong Kong. I've had a dish where there was only a couple pieces of sushi, and the rest of the plate was decorated with herbs, flowers, and sauce. I felt that as if the dish itself was more important than the food. This made me interested in Japanese cooking and encouraged me to improve my cooking skills.

          The Japanese are extremely strict on the arrangement of food. Many rules are applied to how appealing a dish is. "The balance between vessel and space, and space and food, are considered crucial" (Dekura 7). In Japanese cuisine, the concept of empty space has a beauty of its own. The amount of empty space should be roughly equivalent to the amount of food.

       

This is my attempt on arranging food similar to how Japanese restaurants do it. Along with following the rules from Hideo Dekura. I reduced the amount of food placed on the plate in order to balance the empty space and food ratio. From improving the physical appearance of food, can allow enhancement of the taste (Dekura 7).  Although my sushi was pre-made from the store, the placement of the food created a more luxurious aroma to the dish. I am pretty satisfied with my creation, but i don't think it is close to what professional chefs can do. But I'll take this experience as a stepping stone to becoming a better chef.


After seeing this blog, did it encourage you to arrange your food differently before serving? If so, then why? 

Dekura, Hideo, and Danny Kildare. Contemporary Japanese Cuisine: Classic Recipes, Fresh Flavors. New York: Weatherhill, 2001. Print.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Jasper! Your post really highlighted the importance of the presentation of food and how it's reflective of the Japanese culture. Personally, I think the presentation of the food doesn't matter very much since, it's still the same food, but if it has a nice presentation it would probably trick the brain into believing the food is tastier than it really is due to just the beauty of the way it's layed out.


    To answer your question, I'm not going to take time to arrange my food differently due to the pure fact that I'm a very lazy individual and it just takes too much time and effort to arrange the food differently. But, if guest were to come over to my place or something then, for sure I would make everything look nice. Making any dishes look nice just makes the enhances the dining experience as you have described in your post. Your post did gave me a lot of insight on how big a difference, the arrangement of food can make the taste and other aspect of eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Huy, its true that arranging food that you consume yourself is somewhat pointless. But I think that practicing food placement is great practice to the art of food placement. I agree with you that it brings new aspects to eating. For example, if there was a dish that was just thrown on a plate compared to a dish that was neatly placed. People would choose the neatly placed one instead. This shows the power of food placement and how much it affects how appealing your dish is.

    ReplyDelete