Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Art Techniques: Watercolor

Sometime in our life we were introduced to water color. Either at school or at home. The coveted Crayola pallet with eight basic colors. Or the pallet that some how had every single color under the sun. Which ever it was we were obsessed. Slapping paint and water color making  masterpieces, most of us think that is how you do it now too. But there is so much more to watercolor than you could have ever guessed.

In my painting I decided to use the "wet-in-wet" technique in the painting below. Wet-in-wet is explained as "Laying a second application of paint while the other is still very wet" (Crawsaw 26). Sadly I made a huge mistake, I waited too long to add my second layer of paint so the colors did not spread like it was said to in the book. But instead turned out like the wet-on-dry technique, the dipping into a already wet paint and going straight onto the dry board making lines look harsher (Crawsaw 27).

This really impacted on my painted skills. I am so excited to put these new techniques
to work on my projects to come. Now I know exactly how I can use these techniques to better make artistic capabilities.
Wet-in-wet techniques are usually used to paint things where colors blend, what other objects do you think would be good to paint using the wet-in-wet technique?

1 comments:

  1. Hi Kennadi! I think your mountain painting looks very nice, especially the sky!

    To answer your question since I'm also a painting enthusiast, I would use the wet-in-wet technique to paint the scenery, for example the sky. Since watercolor is mostly about layering colors over colors in a repeated process, the wet-in-wet technique would probably work for anything you're trying to paint, maybe the ground or the wall. There's so many options that I feel it's hard to name just one without listing them all.

    Overall, I feel that regardless on what you're painting with the wet-in-wet technique is used somewhat subconsciously.

    ReplyDelete