Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

How to Make Cute and Adorable Elephant Towel Animals

It was all just a coincidence. On my cruise trip on Holland America Line in Europe last summer, I stumbled across a hidden detail that had been on the very bottom of my event schedule pamphlet. It had read "3:30- How to Make Towel Animals- B Deck". Bored out of mind, I went to the event, and found out after that I can purchase the book Holland America Line Towel Creations for $10.99


And so I bought it.


In this article, I will be teaching you how to make one of the most iconic towels animals there is to make; an elephant. There are two types of elephants that you can make; a regular elephant and another called a "Jumbo" but I will only be demonstrating the regular elephant in this article. From following the instructions, it may seem difficult, but along the way, you will discover the fun and joy, and that other side of you that will want to make towel animals all day.


For towels, you will need a large-sized towel (about 30 x 50 in.) and a medium-sized towel (about 17 x 28 in.). Additional accessories such as googly eyes, sunglasses, ribbons, etc. may be added to your towel creation to make it look cuter and add scenery


Step 1: Grab your large towel. You will need to fold both sides of the towel two inches in to create what looks like 3 rectangles.

Step 2: "Roll the top and bottom towel towards the center" (Holland 29) of the towel to create what looks like 2 burritos.
 my cat also decides to join the picture
Step 3: Grab one side of the towel and fold it in half to make four rolls, then place the folding in an upright position. Now you have created the legs!
Step 4: Now grab the medium towel from before. Before you start the next step, I recommend having a hook attached to a wall to make this next step easier and make your final product look neater. Now, with the hook, "Hook the center and roll both sides towards the middle" (Holland 29) of the towel.
 

Step 5: This step is the one where I always get stuck on, but after many attempts, I finally could complete the step, just takes practice. You will need to pull the 2 front flaps from the top and pull them down to form the ears (Holland 29).
 
Step 6: Almost done! Grab the pointy end of the head and twist it to form the trunk, then place the head on the body to make an elephant!

Congratulations on making your first towel animal (I presume!). Its not everyday you read how to make cute towel animals. If you don't feel satisfied with your towel animal, thats okay! When I first bought the book, I underestimated the difficulty of making these towel animals. I ended up frustrated with myself since I could never match what the book would end up having after the directions. But after trying many time and having patience with myself, I ended up with the results I wanted. So don't put yourself down just yet, and just try again!


There are many animals which you can make, which I would like you to comment down which towel animals you would like me to demonstrate in future blogs. But I would like to ask everyone; What have you done to over come your obstacles?


Have a great day everyone!

Janice Herrador













Holland, comp. Towel Creations: Holland America Line 40 Designs. Seattle, WA: Holland America Line, 2007. Print.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Janice,
    I love this idea! Your elephant is very cute and I can't wait to see what else you are making. I would like to see a cat, one like yours. My obstacle is my failure of cooking things but I hope to get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,
      Thank you for your suggestion! The book I am doing my blogs on does have instructions for making a cat towel folding, so you can look forward to that in the future 😊. I hope that by believing in yourself and practicing many times that you can improve your skills and find the joy and simplicity in your cooking!

      Delete
  2. This is so cute - I always love those fun folded animals at hotels. Could you make a monkey? Also to overcome obstacles...hmmm...focus on the present and put all of my energy there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, I never thought of this concept that way. And a monkey towel animal is a great idea, thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete