Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Essential Fishing Handbook

Reid Baber 

Blog 1


 The first time I went fishing I was about 8 years old.  My dad and I went Trout fishing and for my first time we caught 6 Trout and from that day on I’ve always had a love for fishing.  I also find finishing to be vary therapeutic and relaxing.  As I've become more involved in fishing I thought it would fun to try something new like bass fishing.  It was hard at first but after a lot of practice I've become a better angler.  With the book The Essential Fishing Handbook by Joe Cermele I plan to improve my fishing skills even more.

In the first chapter of the book the two main things Joe Cermele talked about are the different types of Lures that are used to catch different types of fish, And the two main types of reels you should use when fishing.


Curly Tail Grub- this is a plane or painted jig with a colored worm on it. From my experience when I fish with this lure I find its more useful by docks or banks. According to Joe Cermele this lure is used for fishing Bass, pike, trout, walleye and salmon. 



Snag Proof Frog- This is a plastic frog with two hooks in it and is casted out on top of lily pads or in thick grass. In my onion this is the best bass lure you can find because of its unique looks and versatile method of hooking the fish.





Baitcasting Reel- “Baitcasting reels requires a lot of skill and practice and are favored by bass angles.” (Cermele 5) I totally agree with this quote from the book because I love to use my baitcaster when I go bass fishing. Whit this type of reel I would recommend you use lures such as Frogs, Crank baits and Buzzbaites.














Spinning Reel-  The spinning reel that I own is a R2x. I find that this reel is extremely useful for lures such as Senkos, Zoom Fluke, and live baits such as worms because of its low gear ratio.  One tip I learned from the book is when you're using a spinning reel pump the rod up and reel on the way down.















As I continue to read more chapters of my book I hope to learn the basics for fly fishing, how to tie different knots on your hooks, and how to fish at night.  This concludes my first blog on the book The Essential Fishing Handbook by Joe Cermele. 

2 comments:

  1. It has been a while since I have gone out fishing but next time I go out I will be sure to try one of those hooks or one of those reels you showed! Usually I just use the basic reels and regular hooks with bait on, but then again I never catch many fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ahron for reading my blog and next time you go fishing be sure to use one of those hooks. Also if you need any help read my other blogs for more tips about fishing.

      Delete