Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Human Hand

Whenever people compliment me for my art projects I've done in my Commercial Arts class, I only laugh, because if they saw my drawings of humans they would think it was done by a five-year-old. Though I've done quite a few drawings of objects and landscapes that I'm quite proud of, my absolute weakness is drawing humans. Details, proportions, shading, everything seems different when I attempt to draw people. Compared to my other drawings (which thus far have been exclusively objects or landscapes), my attempts at drawing people are rather laughable.

My very first project done in Commercial Arts! I'm quite proud of the shading, even if it could use a bit more contrast.

For my very first post, I decided to draw something that sounds very simple, yet is actually quite difficult: hands. Many artists agonize over drawing hands, due to the amount of precision and detail that goes into it and how hard it is to get the structure of the hand just right. Going into this book, I'd thought that it would just include helpful hints to drawing anatomy, yet the author emphasizes many important aspects I hadn't even stopped to think about.

One of the main points the author made is that you can't simply draw something you have no understanding of. In order to draw anatomy, you must know where the bones and muscles are located and how they tend to react when you perform certain movements. If you had no knowledge of human anatomy and were to simply draw a hand that is not based off of a picture, it would be difficult to draw because you wouldn't know the proportions of the hands, how the parts of the hand are related to each other, if muscles will tense or if bones will pop out in a certain position, and so on (Bridgman 6).

Bridgman also emphasized the usefulness of construction lines. These are basically lines to guide where things are located, and when drawing, I relied on them quite heavily. Bridgman explains how to take note of the placement of details when he says "the inaction construction line runs straight down the arm to the base of the little finger. The action construction line runs down the arm to the base of the thumb at the wrist, from there out to the middle joint, at the widest part of the hand; thence to the knuckle of the first finger, then to that of the second finger, then joins the inaction line at the little finger." This is an example of how to use the construction lines, and following his advice was highly helpful.


The construction lines I decided to create in order to help
guide myself on the placement of the fingers,
bone outlines, knuckles, etc.
How I used the construction lines, to get a very basic
shape of the hand using only straight lines. I focused mostly on getting the placement and size accurate.

It took me quite a few tries for me to become satisfied with the proportions. Another issue I've struggled with when drawing hands is keeping the palm and fingers proportional to one another. However, when I used construction lines, I didn't have too many issues with that!

I added smaller details such as the knuckles, the wrinkles
in the finger where there are joints, nails, etc.
Here I've started to define the contours of the hand and
strayed away from the straight lines in order to give the
hand a natural curvature.






















Another technique I utilized from the book is implied lines. Implied lines are when you draw a figure, and in the outline you leave a blank space between lines, yet your mind will easily picture the line there. This is prominent at the top of the ring and pinkie finger, where I elected not to draw in the upper half of the fingers. I find that implied lines give the drawing more character, and the technique worked surprisingly well.

Here it's seen that I've gone back and shaded in some
of the parts of the hand, such as the space between the
fingers and areas on the knuckles and wrist.
After erasing the guidelines (which, looking back on, I should
have drawn a bit lighter), this is the finished product!

You may also have noticed I also added some lines that are seemingly random, but I put them there intentionally in order to show the bones and muscles that lay underneath the skin. For example, the shading along the right side of the wrist is meant to show the bone underneath the skin and to give the hand more depth. Though I am satisfied of the drawing, I'd admit that I'm not totally happy with it, mainly because I'd normally shade and fill in the hand more (which I did try, though it didn't turn out very pretty).

I found that using construction lines, something I had previously disregarded as "too much work", is actually quite helpful when I don't feel comfortable placing details through judgment alone. It's a helpful tool when you're unsure of where to place things.

A detail I quite liked about this process is how it went from such a flat sketch of straight lines to an body part with depth and character. In my opinion, that's one of the charms of art: watching a few straight turn into a detailed, realistic object, and looking at the end result and seeing how you've progressed since the start.

What's your favorite part about art, whether making or viewing it? What is, in your opinion, the best form of art (painting, drawing, sculpting, photography, etc.) and why? What makes art aesthetically pleasing to you?

Bridgman, George. Constructive Anatomy. New York: Sterling Publishing Co., 2016. Print.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I loved this post! And also, hands are crazy hard, but you did amazing! :) How do you think your piece would've turned out without the lines? Do you have any tips to offer on how construction lines should look for other things like the human body or faces?

    Also, I really liked your use of construction lines in your piece. I've heard of them through other artists, but I've never really had a clear grasp of how to use them. I’ve always just jumped right into a piece without considering it as a whole or having a plan. This resulted in my pieces turning out often disproportionate or not cohesive as a whole. Construction lines, I think, will be a great solution to this problem. Researching online about them, I learned that they were lightly drawn sketches that are meant to be later erased. As well as that, your pictures did a great job at clarifying how they worked. So, thanks for passing along this great art technique! I will be sure to try this out when drawing more difficult things like hands.

    To answer your question, my favorite part about art has got to be making it. There's just something about creating that embodies so much of you and becomes so personal. The best form of art is all! I don't think I can choose just one. And lastly, art is pleasing in my eyes when it isn't too busy, but rather meaningful. For example, many strokes aren't needed, but rather meaningful ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I find that it's a lot easier to draw hands close-up rather than on a person, so I think it's a good starting step if you're interested in learning how to draw hands! :)

      For things like faces, I would start by drawing straight lines that would help you determine things like the angle of the jawline, and how it would go down to meet the chin. As for features like the eyes, nose, and mouth, I'd draw vertical and horizontal lines for each feature to accurately place and size them. It sounds a bit excessive, but when drawing a face, I personally think the key is placement and proportions!

      As for a human body, I would do the same thing but with features: marking out how long the arms come down, how long the torso is, etc. I definitely recommend trying construction lines. They really do give a nice guide of where things should go and how to proportion things properly, which is my biggest struggle when it comes to art.

      I completely agree with you! I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my post or not, but it feels so amazing to watch a single line on a paper become a work of art, and transform into something really incredible. Sometimes when drawing, I like to do a time lapse of my work, and watching it gives me such a satisfied feeling!

      Your philosophy is great, and I definitely appreciate the thought you put into this comment! I love how you phrased it, that meaningful strokes are better than many, and completely agree with you.

      Thank you for the wonderful comment! It was a pleasure to read and reply to! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Emily!

    The hand you drew is so good, it's very nicely drawn out! I didn't even know construction lines existed until I read this blog, and it gave me some thoughts on using construction lines the next I drew.

    Answering your question about what's my favorite part of art, it would be making it, I really like seeing the final result. Looking through your process of making the hand, it was really nice to see how you got from the starting point to the final result.

    For your second question, I don't believe I could answer that one, because I believe that since art is expressed through so many different ways, choosing just one to be the best would be difficult. Though, I can answer the last question and it's somewhat related to my answer to the first question. It's all about the outcome and process for me. It's very pleasing to see how an artist got there.

    Thanks for sharing such an informative post, it really helped me gain more knowledge that was previously unknown to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Olivia! I'm happy you liked the post!

      Before this process, construction lines were also rather foreign to me, but after using them, I've found they're actually quite helpful! I'd love to see your next art piece, as I've also looked at your blogs and saw very beautiful pictures!

      I agree with your point, that art is expressed in such a diverse number of ways that it's difficult to choose just one process. I'd also have to agree that seeing art come to life is very satisfying. I actually enjoy making timelapses of my art and watching my drawing form from start to finish!

      Thank you for taking the time to comment and sharing your opinion! I'll definitely take your comment into account in my others posts!

      Delete