Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Art applies by: Jaipal Cheema

Currently I am reading "The Usborne Complete Book of Drawing" by Usborne. I have never seen myself as even a doodler let alone a full fledged artist. However, apparently I have been somewhat underestimating myself in this particular field. It's not something I show interest towards, but when I do have to do something regarding art, it doesn't turn out to be too bad. However, enough of the whole introduction, art itself can be quite complex as it can portray and say so many things without speaking one single word. There are many different types of art as it does not have regulations regarding what is to be considered art and what is not. The realm is completely open and is dependent on the artist's creativity.

In the book, it focuses on the skill of drawing which many believe is the stepping stone towards understanding the complexity of art. The first part it analyzes is the drawing of human faces using complex lines and angles to accomplish the generality of the shape of the human face. It states "Faces are the most expressive parts of people's bodies. They can be tricky to draw, but you can make them less difficult if you follow these steps shown on this page. Using pencil, start with an oval, then draw construction lines on it, as shown below"(Usborne 6). The quote explains how the construction of the face begins with guide lines to capture the basic shape and then details can be added upon to enhance the drawing and make it so it appears more realistic. It really emphasizes how the construction lines are needed to set a strong foundation. This same mindset applies to many other things in life such as education, employment, and overall development of people. The first image shows the basic layout of the human face. The second image shows progression as guide lines are beginning to fade and more and more details are being added. The process of refining, rounding and adding details was quite easy as I had the guides to help me. Using this process and skill allows for the artist to become familiar with general proportions and structures. It's quite clear that the second image is not complete even though there is quite a bit of detail and shading. Truly, in art you can never be done as your creativity expands, you can add more and improve drastically.


Question: How do you see the particular key points regarding having a strong foundation apply to your passion, talent, or life in general?
Usborne, Reece, Smith, and Brown. The Usborne Complete Book of Drawing. Usborne House, 83-85 Saffron Hill, London, EC1N 8RT, England. 1993, Print.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jaipal!

    Great post! You have such an intricate and beautiful mindset on art. Also, I totally agree with you when you say that "art itself can ... say so many things without speaking one single word". Art is limitless.

    In addition, I really liked your use of guide lines. As a beginning artist like you, I am not familiar with any technique or form that comes with art. So, guide lines are something that in my previous experience, I have never used. When making art, I usually just jump right into things. This is because I never really saw how drawing circles and lines would help my drawing. However, your post does a very good job at demonstrating the importance of using guide lines. I can see that they have allowed you to work on your piece as a whole and avoid only focusing on each feature of the face individually. Doing some personal research online about guide lines, I found out another way to draw guide lines for faces. First, you make a circle, and then outline the shape of the jaw under it. I hope this can serve as tip that can help you out in future pieces. :)

    Lastly, to answer your question, I think that having a strong foundation is key to your passions and life because it is what allows you to keep going. There will always be “ups” and “downs” in life. That is just a fact. But, with a strong foundation, whether it be family, friends, or even your own self, you’ll be able to recover from the “downs” and continue living the “ups” of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theresa! Thanks for the lengthy response, as it shows that you truly understood and analyzed the blog post. It also helps for me to know the thought process of other beginner artists and using their techniques and ideas to improve. Also, I will try the method of using guidelines that you mentioned as it might be a better fit for me in comparison to the current method I use. Overall, I feel like the processes don't really matter much because there's no one magic way to become a better artist. It's all trial and error to find what methods you are most comfortable with, so on that not I agree with you regarding the inclusion of other methods and techniques. Your response to the question completely captured my own viewpoint regarding the question, as it's a great way deal with issues in life as you'll always have someone or something to resort to/fall back on.Thanks for the response, and for taking the time to read my post, and it seems like we have a lot in common when it comes to views.

    ReplyDelete