Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Speedsolving the Rubik's Cube

If you were asked to solve a Rubik's cube, your first thought would most likely be to tear the stickers off and then put them back on to make the cube look solved. Everyone does that at some point,  but back in 6th grade, I decided that I wanted to learn how to actually solve the cube. After doing it for about a week consistently I had gotten to about 43 seconds but then stopped soon after. And now, 4 years later, I have once again gotten into solving Rubik's Cubes, and trying different types  and dimensions. This book covers the 2x2, the 3x3, the 4x4, and the 5x5 cubes, but for this first blog post, I will try not to cover too much at once. I will be focused on the general concept and also the 3x3.
Image result for 2 by 2 3 by 3 4 by 4 and 5 by 5 rubik's cube
First of all, it's understandable to get overwhelmed by the cube. According to Harris, "There are an amazing 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 possible configurations of Rubik's Cube, and only 1 of them is the solved position"(Harris 18). And also keep in mind that learning a Rubik's Cube is sort of like riding a bike, once you know how to do it, even if you take a long break like I did, its a lot easier to learn how to solve it. But also keep in mind that like Harris said, if you are a beginner and have no experience with a cube then the most frustrating part is learning how to solve it(Harris 19). But once you do, you will feel a huge sense of accomplishment because of the work you put in. And after 4 years of not solving it, within 2 days of having this book, and spending about 30 minutes each day, I was able to memorize how to solve it again.
In the back of this book, once you have learned how to solve the regular cube or any of the 4 variations I mentioned earlier, you have a special way to reward yourself. The book gives instructions on how to make "pretty patterns" with the cube once it is solved. Here is one example of a pretty pattern that Harris gives.
In the next blogs I will be learning and sharing about the three other types of cubes the book teaches about. Last tip, or helpful information, once you know how to solve the basic 3x3 cube, it will make all the other cubes a lot easier.

Question: Have you ever tried to solve a Rubik's Cube? And if you did did you actually learn or were you one of the many who just peeled the stickers?

Harris, Dan. Speedsolving the Cube: Easy-to-follow, Step-by-step Instructions for Many Popular 3-D Puzzles. New York: Sterling Pub., 2008. Print.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Brandon!

    First off, I really like that you're doing a Rubik's cube blog, as it brings back so many memories of elementary school for me. Second, to answer your questions, yes, I have tried to solve a Rubik's cube, and not just by peeling off the stickers. That was partly because I didn't want to ruin my Rubik's cube so I had to learn or else I would be left with a scrambled cube for all of eternity. I haven't picked one up in a while, but from past experience, I can totally agree with your statement that it's like riding a bike. A few years back I picked it up again and was able to get going in about half the time it took me before, so once you know how to solve the cube, part of it definitely stays with you. Anyway, great post and I'm looking forward to all those to come!

    Also, just a side note, thanks for letting me know how to spell "Rubik's". I always thought it was spelled "rubix", just due to the way it sounds. So thanks! Now I won't mess it up again. You really do learn something new every day!

    -Logan Munoz :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Logan, first of all thank you for taking time to read and comment on my blog post, and I am glad you enjoyed it. It also brings back memories of elementary school for me too, as well as I like your reasoning for why you learned how to solve it. Lastly, your welcome for teaching you how to spell "Rubik's", that obviously wasn't the purpose of this, but I'm glad I helped.

      Delete
  2. Hi Brandon

    I agree with what Logan said in his comment. I really liked that you based your blog on Rubik's Cubes, it really does bring back memories of us in 6th grade. I also agree with how you described learning to solve a Rubik's Cube, as it is like riding a bike. Like you, I haven't touched a Rubik's Cube in years, but as I pick up the cube again I can strangely remember all the movements of solving the cube. I guess its because to become really proficient in solving it you develop muscle memory in your hands. While I am sure that I am not as fast as I used to be,its pretty neat how solving it stuck with me after all of these years, like riding a bike! I really hope that you can accomplish solving all the different dimensions of the cubes (2x2, 4x4, etc). From personal experience solving them are not as difficult as solving the 3x3, as you use previous knowledge from solving the 3x3 to implement in the other solves.
    -Kevin Hua

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin, thank you too for taking time to read and comment on my post. I agree with you about muscle memory 100%, it makes it a lot easier to relearn solving the cube because there isn't much to relearn. Also in my future posts, I will be talking about the 4x4 and the 5x5 cubes and talking about how they are much easier to learn if you have solved the 3x3.

      Delete