Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Shading Forms

"Value [is] added to a shape (2D) when drawing creates form (3D)" ( Holmes 30). When shading it is important to understand the lightness or darkness of a value can show where light falls on an object. By capturing the shadows and highlights of your object, shading adds depth, contrast, character, and and even movement. (Holmes 30)
Terms to :
 Highlight- the area on any surface which reflects the most light.
Shadow- A dark area cast by any object illuminated on the opposite side. 
Value Scale- lights and darks of your drawing.

Though I already had some prior knowledge about shading I never was very good at it. I had never observed how light hit an object and how it could really enhance my drawings .

How could highlight and shadows be helpful innart forms other than drawing?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Elizabeth!
    I think contrast in light is very important in photography. How the light hits the object in the picture can cause very different and drastic results that create different tones and emotions. Being a person who has experimented with drawing myself, the role of light is something that needs to be accounted for in any even semi realistic drawing.I think in any form of art, the small details are what bring the product from just good to great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John!
      That's intersting, I have heard one of the most important parts of photography is contrast and values.It was something i really struggled with in my photography class last year. And I agree, it is a crucial element in any realistic drawing.

      Delete