Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

My Journey With Stage Makeup.
               It all started when I was a little kid playing with my grandma’s makeup. My grandmother has always been in stage productions, so from a young age I have been interested in the art of makeup. There are many important things to remember when applying stage makeup.


               For this particular attempt at stage makeup I decided to apply it as if I were an elf. According to Corson, elf makeup includes short or very long hair, and colored looking cheeks (275). It was also suggested that you should make sure that when you apply heavily pigmented colors you spend time blending them out properly.  Personally I chose to center my makeup around a purple color because I have a connotation of purple being magical, but with choosing a brightly colored and heavily pigmented color came the chore of blending for what felt like hours!


 

               Another way to enhance the look is to add ears that are much different than human ears. “Elves are usually pictured as very small with pointed or butterfly shaped ears” (Corson 275). Within my practicing of stage makeup, I’ll be able to take was Corson said and apply it to the looks of other creatures. Following the tips and tricks written within this book  have really improved the overall appearance of my stage makeup. Adding Corson’s idea of pointed ears with his suggestion of colored cheeks made the face look much more elf like. I was very pleased with the final result.


(This picture was  taken at the halfway point of my elf makeup session.)

 

What other facial structure ideas or color schemes do you think would enhance the final look?

 

Corson, Richard, et. al.. Stage Makeup. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1975. Print.

0 comments:

Post a Comment