Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Healthy Drinking


I’ve wanted to start eating healthy for a while now. A lot of people want to eat healthy but what we drink isn’t thought about a whole lot because we focus on food and what we’re chewing; but maybe we should start thinking more about what we’re eating and if it’s good for us. “Many people make the mistake of getting the fluids we need during the day from sodas, flavored milk, fancy coffee beverages, and juices. These drinks are high in calories from sugar,” (Stollman 43). This seems so bizarre that most of us are worried about what we’re eating and calories but aren’t really considering that what we’re drinking could not help with trying to eat healthy and possibly lose weight.



Now that we’ve talked about why you should avoid most drinks, let’s talk about what we should be drinking. Water, W-A-T-E-R. It’s one drink we should be drinking lots of throughout the day let some of us including me don’t seem to drink enough. The book mentioned about not thinking water is the only thing you can drink, there are other beverages out there for you if you don’t like water or want to shake things up like Seltzer water, tea and low calorie, low sugar drinks (Stollman 44).


Why do we need fluids? Ever been hungry and then not felt satisfied after eating? That’s probably because you weren’t hungry, you were thirsty. Yup, thirst disguises as hunger causing us to eat more when we aren’t actually hungry. Now what happens if you don’t drink enough? “Here’s what can happen if you don’t drink enough water every day: -You can get problems such as palpitations (irregular heart beat) or feel very tired. –You may notice that you often get a headache later in the day” (Stollman 45). Water is vital for all of us so we need to get more H2O in our diet. The amount we should actually be needing is approximately 8-9 glasses of water every day. I’ll definitely be taking this information to mind next time I go to grab a can of soda. Let’s all work to drink more water and stay hydrated!
How much water do you drink a day? Are you going to try to cut out soda and other sugary beverages from your diet? 


MLA Citation:

Stollman, Lisa, MA, RD, CDE, CDN. The Teen Eating Manifesto: The Ten Essential Steps to Losing Weight, Looking Great and Getting Healthy. Northport, NY: Nirvana, 2012. Print.

10 comments:

  1. Hello Sydney! I like to keep myself hydrated so i prefer to drink a lot of water. I have gotten soda out of my system because i remember one time when a teacher showed me a huge bag of sugar and told me that the amount of sugar in that bag was equivalent to the amount of sugar in on soda can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Jason! I've still been working to cut soda out of my diet because of how much sugar is in it and that's a really good way to show people what's really in their soda.

      Delete
  2. Hey Sydney!! I really enjoy your emphasis on drinking water, as I am in the middle of challenging myself to drink a certain amount of water per day to stay hydrated. I know that making sure you stay hydrated is a huge part to staying healthy and aiding a healthy lifestyle. I found that many people go to drinks because they want their benefit. What I mean by this is someone who goes for a Red Bull to get the energy; however, I've noticed that you can many benefits from drinks and foods you wouldn't think. Drinking water is important, but if you want energy, a soothing feeling, or even a stress reliever, foods like peppermint can help. And, the best part about it? Being able to still maintain an intake of healthy fluids.
    Check out my posts for some cool recipes that I highly suggest you try sometime!!

    -Mackenzie Endrody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! I also think drinking water is very important and we should all start drinking more not only to stay hydrated but also for energy since water can still give you some energy.

      Delete
  3. Sydney, I really like that you are encouraging your blog readers to drink more water. Personally, I drink a lot of water everyday to keep myself hydrated. I have cut out drinking most other types of drinks, and it has made me not crave any types of drinks other than water. This post is very relevant to people trying to lose weight and/or eat healthy. Water makes people feel full for a longer period of time. I have heard that it's best to drink water rather than other drinks when you're dieting because water has 0 calories, so you aren't drinking your calories. Plus, water is very essential to people. Drinking water can massively help a person in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you about drinking water when dieting and I try to drink more water especially when I'm feeling dehydrated. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I think it is great to drink lots of water. As a wrestler/football player, I need to be drinking water all the time other wise I become tired quicker at practice, become dehydrated, and I will get muscle cramps. When ever I don't drink enough water or drink more soda, i am prone to muscle cramps. So, I learned to drink a lot more water which really benefits not just my sports, but my overall life. I try to drink a gallon of water because one I am bigger than the average person and two I do sports so I sweat more, but it is difficult because I don't find a way to carry any water around school. Also there is a limit to the water you should drink, one day for my wrestling hydration test i drank about 15 bottles of water, and I almost threw up at around 13, so drinking a lot of water is good, but there is always a limit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that too much water was a bad thing so thanks for sharing that. Yeah I've realized that when I don't drink enough water or drink too much soda I am prone to getting headaches. Thank you for commenting on my blog!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for posting this article Sydney! I think that this article was really informational and a good way to start off your blog. As a dancer, I drink lots and lots of water because this is the only way that I can stay hydrated throughout long practice nights. Some other drinks that i will drink before and during practice are smoothies, maybe a green tea frap and vitamin C water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really tried vitamin C water, smoothies or green tea fraps as ways to help hydration. I'll have to try those sometime when I'm feeling dehydrated!

      Delete