Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Milkshakes: Not as easy as they seem

I am in no way a chef, baker, or any other sort of person that prepares or makes food. So I thought I would ease my way into the culinary world using Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Jennifer Darling...it was a mess. Since I am about as inexperienced as they come I decided to start easy with a milkshake. Well I learned even the simplest of tasks can easily become a disaster. Although the result was good and tasty the process wasn't very simple. First, I made the mistake of not asking how to use a blender so I took the container part of the blender off wrong. Of course I had failed to realize this until I had already put my pint of chocolate ice cream and 1/2 cup of milk into it. It almost immediately started spilling out the bottom leaving me in utter confusion. Eventually I got it under control, after losing all the milk and melted part of the ice cream to the floor and counter.

I then turned on the blender and put it on stir and stopped every once in a while to stir it (29). Once I thought it was smooth I poured it into some cool milkshake cups, but I still hadn't fixed my spilling issue completely so it got all over me and counters again. It was revenge of the milkshake and I wasn't expecting it. I then ignored the directions when they said "Serve immediately"(29). Going with the trend of me screwing it up it was a little milkier than when it had first been poured. I think that from this experience I have learned that I'm not yet a master of the blender or basic skills in the kitchen. 

As I venture into my next baking and easy food making adventure is their any tips or advice you would like to share with me?

Recipe:
  • 1 pint of ice cream
  • 1/2 or 3/4 cup of milk

  1. Place ice cream and milk in a blender container
  2. Cover and blend till smooth
  3. Serve immediately



Darling, Jennifer. Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. Des Moines, IA: Meredith, 1989. Print.

2 comments:

  1. This story made my day, I'm glad I'm not alone in making these simple mistakes.... (I did the exact same thing while I was making a smoothie) I am much more into baking, than I am into cooking, so my advice to you would be start with an easy baking project. I think one of the easiest thing to bake are cupcakes. As long as you have cupcake tins, I think they are a really easy and simple. Just remember, whatever you decide to make, follow the recipe and all should go okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I could make your day with my simple mistakes. Thanks so much for the advice on the cupcakes I will try that soon!

      Delete