Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Nutrition is the Key to a Healthy Lifestyle




Everybody knows that they are supposed to eat healthy food. However, most people don't know exactly why. I asked my sister why she should eat in a healthy manner, and she responded with "because it's good for you". I followed this by questioning why "it's good for you", and she didn't know.

I feel like most people are this way. Obviously they don't care enough to do their research. I've began to look into a healthy lifestyle, and Men's Health, Get Back in Shape by David Zinczenko covers everything, from nutrition to weightlifting. Recently, I have been focusing more on the nutrition portion rather than the body sculpting segment, because nobody will see your muscle when it is covered in a layer of body fat.

A way to kill body fat is to eat amphetamines. They act speed up the motor of the metabolism, and ingesting foods that are considered edible amphetamines guarantee to burn calories no matter what. Having snacks charged with them is scientifically proven to help you loose body fat. (96). There are plenty of these foods, which you should always try to fit into your diet. Included are whole grains for their fiber and complex proteins that keep your insulin levels low after a meal, spicy peppers for their capsaicin which boosts metabolism, and lean proteins that require more energy to digest than fatty ones, meaning you burn calories during the process of digestion. Other foods include coffee, for the caffeine speeds up your heartrate, burning more calories than normal, and seafood such as salmon that contains Omega-3 fatty acids, that lower the hormone leptin. "Researchers at the University of Wisconsin found that mice with low leptin levels have faster metabolisms and are able to burn fat more quickly than animals with higher leptin levels. The best way to lower your leptin? Eat fish" (99).

In reading this, for the past three weeks, I have made a point include one source of edible amphetamines in every meal. I always start the day with oatmeal and a cup of coffee, and finish it with some sort of lean protein. As you can see here, today (November 30, 2006) I prepared grilled rosemary salmon, with grilled onions and potatoes, and a whole wheat couscous.

Displaying 20161130_203313.jpgDisplaying 20161130_203514.jpg


It was a fairly simple dish, which only required some seasoning before throwing it on the grill. For taking less than 25 minutes, it tasted great, and after ward I didn't get that overstuffed and tired feeling that you can occasionally get after a substantial meal.

Eating right doesn't have to come at the cost, as made evident in the meal I mentioned earlier. It's pretty easy to enjoy meals that work well for your body, and your taste buds. Now that I have the nutrition aspects down of a healthy lifestyle, I can begin on physical aspects.

What other healthy meals do you recommend? What specific foods should I add to my diet that would be beneficial?

Zinczenko, David. Men's Health, Get Back in Shape. Rodale Inc, Emmaus Pennsylvania, 2009.

5 comments:

  1. Evan, I really enjoy what you have to say about nutrition. I think that it is extremely important to include meal planning when you are looking at trying to accomplish a healthier lifestyle. I feel that so many people are too lazy to go buy food or simply plan out their meals and they end up either stopping through the drive through to pick up something fast to eat, or going to a restaurant so that they don’t have to cook. There are so many simple and delicious meals such as the one you discovered, and not many people know that preparing food can be really easy!

    I have discovered that there’s also a plethora of drinks that contain healthy benefits for our bodies that I think you should check out. They don’t all have to be protein drinks, but even simply energy drinks that don’t contain the abundance of unhealthy sugars as Monster or Red Bull.

    -Mackenzie Endrody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mackenzie, I tried one of your strawberry smoothies, and I wanted to thank you for introducing me to them! I now make them weekly, and look to them rather than a soda. They also give me all the energy I need to have an effective workout!

      Delete
  2. As a wrestler, I have to have a healthy lifestyle i order to keep up. I am just finishing my semester of health and one thing I learned is that your plate of food should be as colorful as possible (with natural colors of course). With natural color not food coloring your plate should look like a rainbow, some examples, carrots for orange, broccoli for green, eggplants for purple, certain types of squash are yellow, certain peppers are red, and of course you can add fish or lean meats with this. I usually make very colorful stir fry with lots of veggies, low sodium, and some lean pork. I found you can usually make much healthy food at home, rather than going out to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you are saying about a colorful plate is exactly what my parents say! The more colorful the food the better, if of course it is natural color. Thank you for reminding me that a simple way to check if what you are eating is healthy is by just checking the colors.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete