Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Tropical Fruit Smoothie Bowl

A twist to the average breakfast

Breakfast, as we all know, is the most important meal of the day. Our energy levels, mood and concentration are all affected by what we eat in the morning (Turner 8). This is why I brought it upon myself to find good/ fun breakfast recipes. Although I have never had a problem with not eating breakfast, I have had a bad habit of eating somewhat healthy foods for breakfast. I normally eat a bowl of honey nut cheerios, a fried egg and maybe a banana every morning.  Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, we shouldn't settle for "somewhat" healthy foods! From eating these healthy recipes, my end goal is to feel energized throughout the entire school day. I've chosen the book Superfood Breakfasts by Kate Turner so that I can enjoy healthy breakfasts every morning.

I decided to make a tropical fruit smoothie bowl which Turner describes is best, "For mornings when the skies are gray and you feel as if your immune system could use a boost, try this smoothie bowl which is loaded with vitamin C and anti-inflammatories" (Turner 30).



Ingredients:
Serves 2
1cup of frozen tropical fruit smoothie blend
1 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice (or store bought)
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
Topping
2 small cubes of watermelon cut into small chunks
1 tbsp of coconut flakes
1 tbsp of cashews
1 tbsp of yogurt
What do you eat for breakfast? Is breakfast the most important meal of the day?


2 comments:

  1. I think a lot of people will agree with me when I say that most high schoolers don't have time to eat breakfast in the morning, not a good one at least! This is a simple, quick way for us to get all the nutrients and health we need for the day. And to answer your question, I think that breakfast CAN be the most important meal of the day, depending on what your breakfast meal consists of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100% Aiden. I particularly like this recipe because of how quick and easy it is to make in the morning especially on school days. I think that with healthy and easy recipes high school kids will have a chance to eat and get the energy needed for long lasting days. Hopefully breakfast will become everyone's favorite meal of the day with fun recipes like this!

      Delete