Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Dancing In Basketball

"Good is the enemy of great" is a quote said by Jim Collins. A person can be good at the things they do, but shouldn't be satisfied with just being good. They should strive to being great. There are many things that a basketball player, or anyone, can work on to becoming a better competitor. In Stuff Good Players Should Know, by Dick DeVenzio, the author informs the reader different things a player can do to step up their game. Even extremely talented players don't do all the "little things" that are listed in the book. I chose to read this book because I have played basketball for most of my life. Reading this book has been an eye opener to many things that I should be doing while playing, because they will give me opportunities to improve the way I play.

You might think the title is unusual, dancing in basketball? Yeah, I said it, dancing in basketball. This "dance" should be done by all basketball players, no matter what position they play. In the book Stuff Good Players Should Know, Dick DeVenzio states, "Dance is a word used to refer to a simple four-step routine that should be an every-time habit of all defenders when a shot goes up" (DeVenzio 65). DeVenzio explains how this technique of the "dance" is a very convenient thing to do while on defense, and rebounding is a major part of being on the court. The "dance" he teaches the reader is four steps. The steps include:


"1. Hand up, yell hey!
 2. Turn around and block out
 3. Move toward the basket
 4. Fast break" (DeVenzio 65).


This process can be used from all players, even the players who normally do not rebound. By using this technique, it will prevent players who fail to go towards the ball, and who are in the habit of standing and watching, from losing tipped balls they could get during games (DeVenzio 65).

After reading this, I really took his advice into consideration. While scrimmaging during practice, I remember the four steps and it has enhanced the way I play. Though I am normally the smallest girl on the court, playing against girls who are 6 feet tall, this strategy is still achievable. By using this technique, it can increase the amount of rebounds, assists, and points I can get. No matter how tall a player is or what position they play, anyone can do this and it will really change the way a game goes. If everyone on a team were to do this "dance", it should lead to persistence and will help the team execute better. Whenever I grab the rebound, I am always transitioning fast to look up the court to see if any of my teammates have beaten the opponent down the court for an easy fast break. Or, if my teammate has already grabbed the rebound, I sprint down the court so I am visible for a pass to score off a fast break.




As you can see, in this picture I am blocking out my teammate at practice who is 6'4, after a shot has gone up. But, height does not matter when it comes to putting in an effort to grab a rebound. Anyone can do something that isn't their typical thing to do because eventually it will become normal to that person.

Do you do a simple routine when it comes to doing your favorite activity, what is it?
How does height impact activities you do and how do you work around it?

DeVenzio, Dick. Stuff Good Players Should Know: Intelligent Basketball from A to Z. 3rd ed. Stafford, TX: PGC Basketball, 1983. Print.


2 comments:

  1. Height impacts me a lot when I play basketball, because I am not that tall. Like you said, getting rebounds are hard when you are short, and boxing out is a big component in basketball to get the ball. Also, being short, it is harder for me to get a shot off when someone really tall with long arms in trying to block me. That made me change my shot to make it faster with a quicker release. I don't think that not being tall is necessarily a bad thing in basketball, because it forces you to work around it and develop better skills to become a better player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree, Hana. By having limitations, like being shorter than other players, there will be obstacles that we will have to face and beat them. It is spectacular that you made your release quicker to avoid the long arms of tall players. By working around the things that may hold us back from succeeding in the sport, it shows resilience.

      Delete