Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

General drawing: Lighting and shading


I’ve always been at least a little interested in anything artsy or creative. While I’m fairly skilled and familiar with anything musical, having played multiple instruments, and participated in two shows through Northwood and KR’s drama department, I’ve never put much time into drawing. My cousin took art lessons during her elementary school and middle school years. She had a natural talent and a passion for art. I was always impressed by even her doodles, but never took the initiative to improve my skill in this area, until now. I will be using Giovanni Civardi’s “Drawing A Complete Guide” in order to get at least a basic idea for all things drawing.

The first thing that struck me as very important was the light and shading in a drawing. Whether the drawing is color or achromatic tones (meaning tones that have no color), the contrast in light/shading can be incredibly useful. One of the most important things shading is used for is volume and depth. Value is light and shadow portrayed in the drawing, and chiaroscuro is the contrast between the two. These two ideas help create intuitive space. "Intuitive space an illusion created by the artist that tricks any viewer into seeing depth, volume and mass on a two dimensional surface" (Civardi 83). The first thing I decided to do in order to properly use intuitive space was to draw some basic objects, three dimensional objects like spheres, boxes and cones. Two important things to include were the object’s cast shadow and form shadow. A form shadow is the less defined dark side on an object that is not facing the light source. The cast shadow is the shadow created by the object, or the shadow the object casts (Civardi 89).  One also has to account for the small amount of reflected light, adding an unexpected lighter patch where the form shadow is. Minding the shadows and the different tones each part of the object had was very important when it came to finally drawing, since that really helps when you are creating the illusion of a three dimensional object. I started with drawing the lighter part of the circle, and then slowly transitioned into the darker parts. After this, I then increased the level of detail in the object and its shadow. My first attempt at a drawing was a sphere with proper shading and shadows.

 


The final product came out looking pretty good, but it took much longer than I initially thought it would. Even the slightest change in lighting is significant, ( Civardi 81) and getting the gradual change in shading was much more difficult, and often took me multiple tries to get it just right. Ultimately, the most important thing I learned was the level of concentration of focus that goes into drawings like these. Detail was incredibly important, but in the end the final result came out much better than I originally anticipated.

The question I have for you guys is what are some things or activities that require even the smallest amount of detail in order to be successful? How do you reach the level of detail needed?

Giovanni, Civardi. Drawing, A Completle Guide. N.p.: Search, 2006.




4 comments:

  1. Hi John! I completely agree with you that drawing is a very detailed, meticulous process. I'm currently taking Commercial Arts, and I highly recommend that class if you're interested in drawing! I really improved my drawing skills through that class as well as learning lots of new techniques, so if you're interested in improving your artistic skills, it's a great class to take! I've dedicated countless hours to Commercial Arts, even though it's the class I have the least homework in. To reach the level of detail needed, I can't really say that I use anything other than time. It's difficult to put 3 hours' worth of detail into a 30-minute sketch. Long periods of drawing, sketching, comparing, and revising is what I need to achieve the needed level of detail. Something I'd recommend improving on is making the far lower left side a little darker, to emphasize the rounded shape of the circle. Overall, you did a good job on the sketch! I can't wait to see what else you're going to draw in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emily!I'll definitely have to look into Commercial Arts! Anything remotely artsy has my attention, and it sounds like it'd be a great opportunity to become a better artist as well. I would agree with you when you said the main component is time in reaching your ideal product. There are many subtle aspects to drawing, which usually ends up eating a lot of a person's time. Thanks for the comment, especially the advice! I'll take that into consideration in future drawings.

      Delete
  2. John, you did a really great job on this piece! :)

    Being a beginner at drawing myself, I found your post very informative. Since I've never taken a class or learned the structural rules about art, I have really never even considered lighting and shading, or even how to do so. In my experience, to shade an object or make it three-dimensional, I would just picture how the light would hit the object and improvise the shading. This meant I just lightly shaded the outline of one side of the object and hoped for the best. But, reading your post offered me great insight and a greater understanding as well on the concept of lighting and shading, so thanks! Researching further into the concept online, I learned that understanding the light source of your object you plan on drawing is a great way to aid how you view it to make it easier to draw. Examples I found when reading included lamps, the sun, or even reflections. I hope this tip helps your technique in some way for further pieces.

    To answer your question, ceramics, in my previous experience is something that requires this detail. Taking the class, I learned that for particular pieces that have designs, detail is critical. For example, if you do not make the holes deep enough, the glaze will cover them when they are fired in the kiln room. Another example is if you do not score deep enough into the clay, they two pieces that you are trying to put together will later fall apart. I reach this level of detail by making a checklist of the things I need to watch out for in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Theresa!
      I'm glad my post could be helpful! Lighting is a great way to add extra depth to any drawing, and was something I tried to emphasize in all my drawings. Almost any remotely artsy thing, such as ceramics, requires a lot of detail. With things like music and photography, the detail is what tends to make the product stand out from the rest, not the general idea of the product.Thanks for the comment!

      Delete