Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Individuality in Fashion





Hi everyone, my name is Ava Wainhouse and throughout my posts I will be giving information from Christian Dior's, The Little Dictionary of Fashion, and also current ideas about the world of fashion as well. I love fashion, and I love all of the variety and possibilities that come with it. Today, my main focus will be on the individuality incorporated into fashion. I think this is important to tell you because without it, everyone would dress the same and look the same. With individuality, no one will ever please everyone with their outfits. But isn't it natural to not like all the types of clothes you see? If we liked it all, we would want it all, and that's not good. From Christian Dior’s, The Little Dictionary of Fashion, he says “Try to understand well what is your personality and never forget that individuality does not mean eccentricity” (60). From this, I can say that Christian thinks that everyone has an individual taste. However, he believes that there is a limit to how far one can go with the boldness of a look. You could say that he wouldn’t prefer to see women dressing like Miley Cyrus in her “crazy phase”. To him, this wouldn't be fashion, he would be like Joan Rivers and says its just trash. Everyone has an opinion on other people. We're in high school. We know that there is a lot of judging going around, but you cant let that ruin your style. Be yourself, and dress the way that makes you feel confident, but don’t try to stand out so much to the extent of extreme oddness, since we wouldn't want to see you end up on Fashion Police someday.

Women’s fashion needs to be elegant. And no women that dresses elegantly follows new trends of fashion poorly (Dior, 60). For example, if you don't like the way this years top hit, chokers, look on you, then don't wear it! Just because hundreds of other people wear them, doesn't mean you have to.  Let me show you what I like, and what I think of as my individual style that exceeds to Christian Dior’s “rules” of individuality in fashion, but also shows our current style. 
 
In my opinion, the light pink color of my loose coat contrasts well with my black and white more fitted dress. And my boots kind of dress the outfit down. I'm not wearing a necklace or some fancy tights, the outfit is simple. Yet, with the pop of color and the thick stripes, the outfit has detail as well. Dior would most likely like to see heels with my dress, but at our age, we know that people don’t usually want to wear heels to school. We like to be cool and casual, not always poised like Dior would like. Things have changed, and they'll keep changing as years go by and style evolves.

To talk about my style, well, it's kind of all over the place. You can see me wearing a dress and tights one day, and boyfriend jeans and a t-shirt the next. I like to wear different pieces of clothing as much as I can. I’ve seen people wear mom jeans, vans, and a tight fitting shirt to school, and I love that look. I’ve also seen people wear t-shirt dresses and converse. These are probably the main type of outfits of our time and age. Fashion is different every year. This year the main accessory is chokers. I use to really dislike the chokers, since they were mostly all the plastic lace looking ones. But they soon grew to a larger variety, so there are individual styles for different people. The more types there were, the more I liked them. This shows how individuality is so important with women’s fashion because it allows people to be different from others, yet we always have a common ground. There will be new trends every year, but we can still be ourselves throughout the next styles. I mean, when we were kids the most popular piece of fashion were the knee high, lace-up converses. Now, its the return of the mom jeans and chokers. Throughout our evolving ways of dress, how will you show your individuality in your style? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! My blog posts are also about fashion, and I agree with you that fashion is always changing, I think that many people follow trends to fit in with their peers. I liked how you talked about chokers because they are a part of today's fashion! I like the look of chokers, but disliked how the plastic chokers looked on me personally, so when their was a larger variety I found what went with my individual style! I show my individual style through the jewelry, shoes that I chose to wear! I think that style is a great way to show who you are since there is such a large choice of options to pick from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Baljot! I agree, the plastic chokers were not my favorite, but once there were more options, I found ones that fit my personality better. I would love to hear more from you with my upcoming posts!

      Delete