Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Team Leadership in Basketball

               Basketball is a very complex sport. There is more to it than just dribbling a ball up and down the court to score.  To be a great player, it takes a lot of commitment and hard work. But to be an amazing player, you have to be able to lead a team in any position you are in. In the book Runnin' the Show: Basketball Leadership for Coaches and Players by Dick DeVenzio, I am learning how to be a  leader on the court and features I need to become a better leader. By the end of my reading, I hope I could develop to be an amazing player through leadership and developing my game with drills and skills to work on.
               "Leadership does not mean one player barking out commands and the rest of the team waiting to carry them out. A true leader empowers everyone else to lead so that leadership is shared and spread among all members of the team" (DeVenzio 116). DeVenzio made me realize that to truly lead a team, you have to be encouraging to your teammates and always show that you believe in their abilities and have their best interest at heart. When teammates know you want them to succeed, it gives them more confidence in their game. During the season, I talked to my teammates about what they do good in games, and that really helped my team communicate more during games and lead as a whole, not just one person.




               Even if there is no designated captain, you can still take on leadership responsibilities by reminding teammates, encouraging, communicating, and hustling (DeVenzio 116).  This showed me that anyone has the chance to be a leader, not just one person on the team. Based on how hard you work and the way you  talk to your teammates/coach determines if  you are a leader and if you set a good example for your team. Now, I am starting to encourage my teammates more and cheering them on when they do something good, and that has made me closer with my teammates. Even though there is no captain on my AAU team, by being encouraging towards my teammates and always going at 100%, I can be a a good leader for my teammates to look up to.

How have you shown leadership in a sport? What are some other attributes to be a leader?

DeVenzio, Dick. Runnin' the Show: Basketball Leadership for Coaches and Players. Belton, TX: PGC Basketball, 2006. Print.




2 comments:

  1. Don't forget to include images with your posts please. Yes. I think the most important aspect of a leader is to lead by example. People want to follow someone they admire in some way. It might be a strong work ethic, it might be a great skill set, it might be being very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about leading by example, it rubs off my teammates when they see someone else working hard, and they feel like they have to too. Also, I had a picture, but I just copied it... I tried saving it to my files and uploading it that way, and I asked my friend to check if it was there and she said it was

      Delete