Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Ball In Behind

Hi, my name is Dylan Leeman; welcome back to my blog on Soccer IQ. Today I am going to explain the 3rd of 5 clinical skills that are important to learn. The other clinical skills are: receiving with the proper foot, passing to the proper foot, lifting the tight angle pass, and the toe poke. If you didn't get a chance to read my last blog on the toe poke, you should go check it out. Today I will be talking about "The Ball In Behind".

"When your teammate has gotten position on the defense, priority #1 is giving him a chance. you don't have to be David Beckham. All you have to do is give your teammate a winnable race and a ball that he can receive facing the goal"(Blank 39). This is a great quote because a lot of time you will see players trying to be too precise and under hitting the ball which could cause a quick counter attack.(Blank 39) Also another good use for a ball in behind is when you are under a lot of pressure. Sometimes you will get the ball in the defense with a lot of pressure on you. The easiest way to relieve that pressure is by booting the ball down field, but at the same time you want something good to come for your team, so trying to pick out a teammate with that pass is a good idea.

What do you think makes the ball in behind so deadly?

4 comments:

  1. I think a ball behind can be deadly because the defender would be facing the opposite way the ball is going while the forward should be already running towards where the ball is being played so not only does the forward have a running start but the defend also has to turn around causing them to lose even more time to catch up to the forward. I also think that sometimes the distance of the ball that is being played can be a factor because like the example you give with the RVP header, Blind played the ball from almost the half way line and I remember watching that game and seeing that ball being played, it came as a bit of a surprise because of the distance the ball had to travel to get to the destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Shane. I completely agree with your answer because as a forward I know how important it is to make those runs and throw off defenders. Also that ball Blind played to RVP is one of the best balls over the top i have ever seen.

      Delete
  2. Dylan, what a quality post. I really enjoyed reading about a topic that I am also interested in! This is such a dangerous ball that can be played and I often find myself using it, or receiving it. Skills like this are important to master and to be able to find on the field in order to make amazing plays in the game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Abby. You're right, skills like this are important, but I think that sometimes you need to have a little luck on your side as well!

    ReplyDelete