Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Flourless Chocolate Torte

For my first recipe I chose to bake a flourless chocolate torte because it is on the front cover of the book, so it looks pretty and I thought it must taste good as well. Also, I never knew you could make a cake without flour, so I was very interested in seeing how this would turn out!

"Ingredients:
Unsweetened cocoa powder (for dusting)
10 ozs bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces, plus extra for greasing
5 large egg yolks
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp dark rum or brewed espresso (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract (essence)
Pinch of salt
3 large egg whites, at room temperature

Chocolate glaze:
1/2 cup butter, cut into 4 pieces
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 Tbsp light corn syrup"
(Dodge 10).

At the beginning of this recipe I was instructed to line the pan with parchment paper. I didn't understand why at the time, but at the end of the recipe, after baking, I was instructed to flip the torte upside down onto a plate to cool (Dodge 10). As I was doing this, I noticed how easy it was due to the parchment paper preventing the cake from sticking to the sides of the pan. This taught me a valuable lesson that parchment paper can make baking cakes so much simpler! It reminds me of cupcake liners and how they make baking cupcakes easy. Parchment paper, to me, is like cupcake liners for cakes and other desserts. The torte tasted alright after adding the glaze, but it definitely looked better than it tasted.



Question: Have you ever baked something that looked or sounded great, but didn't taste very good? How about it looked awful but tasted great?
Citation: Dodge, Abigail Johnson. Dessert. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2002. Print.

4 comments:

  1. Good job Danika, you learn something new everyday. I'm sorry that it didn't turn out that good though. Yes I have baked something that looked great but tasted, well, awful. It was disgusting. Anyways, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm sorry your recipe didn't turn out well either. At least we can learn from our mistakes so that our future recipes will be even better. Many great works are made through trial and error. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Hello, Danika. I like your blog post on the Flourless Chocolate Torte. To answer your question, Yes I have many times made something from a recipe and end up seeing it doesn't look exactly what the picture in the recipe look like but then it still ends up tasting great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I'm glad your recipes still taste good! Mine normally turn out alright, but I decided to try a new style of recipe and it was just too bitter for my taste. At least I now know that I don't like dark chocolate. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete