Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Volley

Volleying is an important part of soccer, and is seen commonly throughout a single game. The volley can be used in a defensive clear, a possession keeping pass, or a strike on goal. The best players in the game have perfected their volleys, but I often still completely mistime the ball. A volley is "defined as striking a ball that is in full flight, is also used to make rapid crosses, clearances, and passes" (Bridle 98). The full volley is when you make contact with the ball while it is still traveling in the air, while a half volley is one where the ball bounces once on the ground then is hit while back in the air for the second time. I am pretty good at the half volley, but for the full volley at game pace is where I needed practice.





I went out after reading Bridle's instructions and practiced my full volley. Bridle explained how you would hit the ball completely with your laces while your legs end up making a 90 degree angle when you make contact (98). He talked about how your planted leg will pivot as your striking leg is parallel with the ground. "Bend your knee in preparation for the strike" (98). Taking in all the information from the book, I practiced it over and over and after a while finally started making the right contact with the ball.


Not only do your volleys have to be timed right and with the right contact made, they also have to be aimed correctly to get your shot on frame, your clearance in bounds, or your pass to your teammates. So, after I made the right contact and timing I also tried to get all my aim correctly. I finally started to get the game pace and finalize my volleys.  What's one of your favorite techniques used in your sports?

0 comments:

Post a Comment