Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Anger & Aggression

I tend to get mad very easily when I play soccer, and that leads to me becoming more aggressive. In Dan Abrahams' Soccer Tough he talks about how to use anger positively.

When I get angry in a game I like to think that it helps me play better, faster, and stronger. Abrahams asked a room full of players: "Who here plays their best soccer when angry?" And about 80% of the room raised their hand (118). I am one of those people, but sometimes if I get too mad and aggressive then things start to get out of hand. "It's only helpful if the intensity of anger is directed toward being more competitive. It is when they direct their anger intensity toward aggressiveness that things can go wrong" (Abrahams 119). Sometimes in games I will get so mad that I will not even care about getting the ball as much as hurting the other player.

This level of aggression and anger never results in good things for me, I end up getting fouls or losing the ball. Abrahams explained a great way to use anger when playing. "Far better to exact revenge on a fouling opponent by placing energy and resources into executing your skills than onto the opponent" (119). After reading this, I have really changed the way I play when angry. I still play very aggressive and fast when mad, but I direct it towards things that help my team and not just to hurt the other team.
How are you using your anger?

Abrahams, Dan. Soccer Tough: Simple Football Psychology Techniques to Improve 
     Your Game. Birmingham: Bennion Kearny Limited, 2012. Print.

9 comments:

  1. I don't get angry very often at all. What I have noticed about my athletic endeavors is that I get discouraged easily if I am not seeing the progress I want. During these episodes I have to really drag myself to my mat or to the wall (yoga and rock climbing), but I always feel better afterwards for having done so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through similar emotions as well. But it is good to keep persevering, because it will pay off in the end.

      Delete
  2. I don't get angry a lot, but when i do its because someone is pushing my buttons! But when I do get angry I like to listen to music very loud while going for a run! Going for a run is so nice, it makes me tired so I don't have the energy to be be mad! But when I can't go for a run I just tend to stay quite and keep it all bottled up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with solitude sometimes when your angry. Sometimes it is good to just get away and blow off steam sometimes. That is a good and healthy way to control anger.

      Delete
  3. How are you able to shift your focus and redirect your anger when you're in the middle of a game? Let's face it, we all know when we're starting to get mad, but it's not always easy to catch it before it's out of control. Are you just more aware that it's happening now and able to catch yourself sooner? I like the idea of using my anger on the field to help my team. I just need to figure out how to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well after reading about this it has really opened my mind how I can control these sort of thoughts. Now I am more aware of them when I play. Sometimes when I'm mad or frustrated at a mistake I will just pause and regroup, this helps me set myself straight mentally. It only takes a second pause to stop and think.

      Delete
  4. I was wondering the same thing as Dylan. I always seem to get really angry but i never know a constructive way to use that anger to benefit my team and like you I foul people. Do you have any suggestions on how I can direct my anger in a positive way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I told Dillon, when you notice yourself getting angry and overly aggressive just take a quick 1-2 break to mentally tell yourself to calm down and use your skill. This mentally motivation and guidance has really helped me control myself on and off the field.

      Delete
    2. dang had to go spelling my name wrong....

      Delete