Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Damaged Hair


Today we are talking about damaged hair. Everyday in class I will see a girl looking at the ends of her hair. Why is she doing this? Well she is doing this to check for split ends. Split ends are the splitting or fraying of the hair-shaft due to excessive heat and mechanical stress (Glamour).  Many teenage girls in today's age use straighteners and curlers everyday. This extreme heat on your hair everyday can cause extreme damage. Some damage is irreversible and the only way to get rid of the split ends are to cut them off. Below is a picture of what split ends look like.

In Glamour's Beauty and Health Book it talks about different ways to decrease the chance of split ends. "Use preventive care:a shampoo designed for whatever type of hair you have, normal, dry or oily. Brush gently and only for as long as you need to get the right look"(86). Also one tip is "Don't use rubber Bands to pull your hair so slick and tight that there is no give; this break the hair and pulls strands out from the scalp"(86). Rubber bands being the cause of bad hair has been around since the 70's so why are we still using them? Glamour also mentions that "If you already have split hairs, the only thing to do is have the ends cut off about 1/3 of an inch"(86). Every tip and trick from the book is very helpful and I find that certain shampoos work better then others, just like the book did. Recently I have found a great product. The name of my favorite shampoo is Garnier Fructis Fortifying Shampoo: Triple Nutrition. This shampoo deeply nourishes and restores your hair for stronger, smoother, silkier hair. It has helped my hair in all ways, and I would definitely recommend it if you have curly hair like me. Below is a picture of the product.

My questions of the day are, do you use any special products to keep your hair healthy? Do you apply heat to your hair everyday to get the look you want?

Citation
The Editors of Glamour Magazine, ed. Glamour's Beauty & HealthBook. New York:
                 Condé Nast Publications, 1972. Print.





12 comments:

  1. I don't use that type of shampoo and I don't use heat that often to get the look I want, but my question is: is there a strategies that you can use in the shower to keep the maximum moisture in your hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To answer your question I you a moisturizing creme in the shower that is supposed to lock it the natural oils of your hair and help keep your hair soft and silky. The product is called Bouncy Curls, one of the reasons I use this product because It is designed for my type of hair. You could go to your local salon and check out the products they have for your type of hair. Thanks again for commenting Sam :)

      Delete
  2. I use special Argan/Moroccan Oil shampoo. In 7th grade I used to straighten my hair almost everyday but I found ways to protect it by using Keratin Heat Protector and Milania Total Vitamin Leave-In Treatment. The main thing that I like out of shampoo is for it to leave your hair smelling good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Brooke thanks for commenting. Whenever I straighten my hair I also use the same heat protector, it is my absolute favorite! I also agree with wanting your hair to smell good, I think that most people do. I will definitely have to try out the Argan/Morocaan oil shampoo though :)

      Delete
  3. yes I do use a special hair product to keep my hair healthy, and it's argan oil. It's some type of oil that just makes your hair shinier and healthier. And no I do not put heat in my hair everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sharon! I find that many people I have talked to also use that product. Brooke Z. also uses this product, I think I might just have to try it out! Thanks again for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. I do not use heat except maybe once a week or less and despite being dyed beyond belief, my hair is super healthy. I do always use a rather nice conditioner. My other trick is that I only wash my hair every three days or so - shampoo strips your hair of natural oils that are actually really good for it and this helps give me the sleek look that I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mrs. Robison! Glad to hear that your hair is healthy even after the dying. I also find that using a good conditioner can help my hair stay fresh and silky. But I do have a question, do you ever use dry shampoo in between those days of washing or do you just let the oils come in? Because I myself find that I cannot go more then 2 days without showering just because of having curly hair that can turn into dreads if you don't wash it after three days :) Thanks again for commenting on my post!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the hair tips Mel! To answer your question, I use the dumb blonde shampoo and conditioner by Bed Head. It smells really good and I notice it's helping repair my hair from all the damage I've caused it from dying it. I don't normally use any special products in it, not even heat protectant although I probably should. And to answer your other question, I don't apply heat to my hair everyday to get the look I want. Over the years I have always straightened it but to be honest I've taken a break from that because I just don't have time. Not only that, but I like to give my hair a break here and there, I sure am noticing a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Madi! I personally don't like Bed Head products just because I find it makes my hair stiff, but I might just have to try this shampoo out. I do have a question though, would you every dye it an extreme color like red, and do you know if it does more damage? I would just like to say that your hair is absolutely beautiful and I can definitely tell the difference when you take a break. Thanks again for commenting Madi :)

      Delete
  6. Mel! I used to use that shampoo but it didn't really work for me! :/ But my hair has gotten way more healthier since i haven't used any heat in my hair for about 3 months! I can already see my natural curls coming in again, and i love it! I don't find it necessary for a girl to straighten or curl their hair everyday, because I know i don't want to be bald or have like 2 strands of hair when I'm like 20! I heard applying avocado, and coconut really helps to keep it shiny and thick! we should try that sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sam! I'm sorry that the shampoo didn't work for you :( but I have noticed how soft and healthy your hair has been looking. Your right about your natural curls coming in because in my book it talks about this process of your hair repairing its self. Also i to have heard of girls applying avocado to their hair and I hear it works, after all this shampoo has avocado products in it. Your totally right we should have a girls night soon and do hair and makeup!!! Thanks again for commenting Same :)

      Delete