Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Pushing and Pulling

In the book Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy by Bret Contreras he talks about how to get stronger, and what the best way to get stronger is for your bodyweight. Bret Contreras states that "It's important to understand that bodyweight training is highly skewed toward pushing over pulling." I completely understand what he means by this. It's easier to push something that's heavier than you are, than to pull it towards you.

Pushing exercises are things that you would do on a normal chest day that work both triceps and chest. For example, bench (normal, incline, and decline). Pulling exercises are things you would do on a back day like deadlifting, dumbbell or barbell rows, and other things along those lines. Pulling exercises are dangerous because most of them work your back and if you pull wrong you could possibly mess up your back. My question to you is, why do you think pushing exercises will help more than pulling exercises?
 

2 comments:

  1. I found this blog intriguing. I never knew that workouts could be classified this way. I can assume that what makes pushing exercises better than pulling is the level of stress you are putting on your body. I can see how pulling might be damaging to your back if done wrong, which makes pushing ultimately the better option. I'm looking forward to further posts! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Eliza. I hope to see more of your comments on my future blogs.

      Delete