Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Cornbread

Finally, I deiced to do something that I love to eat, but wanted to do a Texas style of. The food I chose is cornbread. The official name for this recipe is skillet cornbread. This actually has some history with it. " When Fredrick Law Olmsted visited East Texas in the 1850's , no one had any wheat flour. However, cornbread, in tis many variations was everywhere. This simple cornbread stuffing and dressing" (Walsh).  I liked this idea of a new cornbread, but I thought will it still have the same flavor that I love without the all important flour.
The ingredients include

  1. 2 cups of yellow cornmeal
  2. 3 tablespoons of sugar
  3. 1 tablespoon baking soda
  4. 2 teaspoons baking powder
  5. 1 teaspoon salt
  6. 2 eggs
  7. 2 cups buttermilk
  8. 1/2 cup of unsalted butter
  9. 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
I then lightly greased the pan using Pam and placed it in the oven at 375 degrees. To make the batter in a large bowl stir the cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt (68 Walsh).Then take the eggs whisk in a bowl till blended then stir in the buttermilk and butter. Pour the  egg mixture into the dry ingredient, sprinkle with the pepper, and then stir it until well blended(Walsh).  Remove the skillet and pour the batter. and bake for 35 minutes. Let cool for the 10 minutes before slicing. I actually tasted pretty good and without the regular wheat flour it didn't really taste any different from the original cornbread that I loved. Why does the ground pepper added that extra flavor?



Walsh, Robb. Texas Eats. New York: Ten Speed, 2012. Print

6 comments:

  1. Don't forget your discussion question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to make cornbread muffins or mini-muffins and then add honey. So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have any honey for when I did this one, but my Mom has done that before and it is delicious.

      Delete
  3. I love cornbread! Pepper would add flavor profile to the sweetness or the bread, if it didn't have that it would practically be more like cake. Why would it be in a skillet? why not a pan? good job Patrick! I bet it was delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in a skillet because it that is the way they ( some people in Texas) make. It also seemed to be easier to cut out then a pan. Yes, it was delicious.

      Delete