Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Total Stretch 4

There are many different types of stretching techniques and some of them include, isometric stretching, static stretching and ballistic stretching (20). The stretching technique that I chose to focus on today is called "Ballistic Stretching" (20). Ballistic stretching is basically uncontrolled bouncing movements that trigger the stretching reflex. (20). Since I dance, this is the type of stretching technique that I use often. Roscoe Nash states: "This method does not allow the muscle to relax or stretch. it is simply forced into the lengthening procedure" (20). In all of my blog posts, this was the type of stretching that I did. I forced my muscles to go into a stretching position that lengthened my muscles to become more flexible. This technique can be dangerous if you force a stretch that you can not do. You have to limit yourself sometimes so you do not injure yourself. This type of stretching is often used for dancing or martial arts  because of the "explosive actions" these sports do (20).

Now lets get to the new stretches! 

The first stretch I tried was called "Spine Curve", this was an easy stretch (44).
This stretch was a little hard for me because my back is not very flexible so it was hard to get farther back into this stretch. In this stretch it was important to lift your chest up to get a better stretch on your lower back (44). I really felt the stretch in my lower back the most. This stretch would really help me with achieving the goal of my needle because flexibility in your lower back will really help you pull your leg as close as you can get to your back.

The second stretch I did was called "Arm Over Head", this was an easy/moderate stretch (63). I did the stretch on my right and left arm. 
Left arm
Right Arm
This arm stretch was not very hard for me, it was actually one of the easier ones that I've done so far. I pulled my arm as far as it would go and the stretch actually felt good. As I said in my last posts, stretching your arms in very important when trying to do your needle because you need arm flexibility to pull your leg up and pull it towards your back. 

I will add these new stretches to my stretching routine. Even though it will take me a while to get my needle, these stretches will help me improve slowly to reaching my goal of a needle. Results may not happen fast but I need to keep on challenging myself and motivate myself if I want to see good results. 


Question:
If you have stretched for a sport or something else, what is the most difficult or easiest stretch that you have done?  

Citation: 
Nash, Roscoe. Total Stretch. London: MQ, 2003. Print 

4 comments:

  1. The hardest stretch for me is something called "kingdancer" this involves stretching, balancing and strength. It is an extreme stretch of the legs, back and shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms.Robison! I've never heard of this stretch but it seems like a really good and challenging stretch. This would be also be great for achieving my needle because you have to have flexibility and balancing skills to be able to do it and you also need flexibility in your legs, back and shoulders. Thanks for sharing this! I will try this stretch in the future once I figure out how to do it. It seems really interesting! (:

      Delete
  2. Hi Kennedi! Stretching is crucial in dance, your posts are really helpful so I can take in some stretches! the most difficult stretch for me is back stretches. My back is not that flexible so stretched that require to bend back ward is awkward for me.For the spine curve stretch, what is the technique? I was doing this stretch with my aunt and she said I was doing it wrong. Does our hips touch the ground or our thighs? Great post Kennedi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonnie! I totally agree that dancing is extremely crucial in dancing, if you don't have flexibility you won't be able to do many moves or technique. I'm glad you found these posts helpful! I can relate to you, my back has the worst flexibility out of my whole body. For the spine curve your thighs touch the ground, your hips are supposed to be slightly lifted off of the ground and your chest has to be up. Thanks for commenting Bonnie, I hope the advice I gave you helped !

      Delete